Dozens of pine trees DEAD or DYING... what to do?!??

Discussion in 'Michigan Homesteading and Home Improvement' started by d_rek, Sep 27, 2020.

1. eucman

eucman

Kinda hard to tell but that looks like a white pine. I believe his are scotch pine.
    You may have been a victim of the imprellis debacle that was going on in this area some years ago. I don't suppose you have the info on what and when they sprayed. It may be too late to pursue the legal options...call Sam!
    https://www.tsrinjurylaw.com/blog/dupont-imprelis-herbacide-lawsuit/

onenationhere likes this.
  2. U.P.Grouse Chaser

U.P.Grouse Chaser

I have taken out 3 red pine 2 white pine 1 jack pine and 2 spruce out of my yard.
    The largest was a white pine that was 14 inches at the stump.
    What works for me is I've been digging around the tree and chopping the roots . Then hooking a tow strap to the tree approximatley 8 to 10 ft up . Then pulling the whole works over and out with the pick up truck. Cutting up the tree once it's on the ground . Attached are pic's of the last tree we took out about a week ago roots.jpg pine.jpg stump.jpg .

3. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Chopping off pine tree roots is unlike any other. I usually end up with 1 hour for a maple tree or buckthorn. I end up with 2.5-3.0 hours on a white pine tree.

But I usually cut the tree down and leave a 2-3' stump first. Then get to chopping.

Of course renting a stump grinder from Home Depot takes care of the stump in less than 10 minutes each.

4. U.P.Grouse Chaser

U.P.Grouse Chaser

I never tried leaving a 3 ft stump and pulling it out like that. I was thinking by leaving them whole and hooking 8 ft up you have more leverage. Once the tree starts downward you have the weight of the tree helping you as well. When the wife wants another tree removed i'll give it a try.

brushbuster likes this.
  5. d_rek

d_rek

I will probably have the neighbor bring his backhoe over to tear out the stumps and burn them up. There is a cluster probably 40x40ft that I want to remove everything and it will be the location for an eventual pole barn.

Sent from d_mobile

6. multibeard

multibeard Premium Member

I would look into root collar weavel being what is killing the trees. If I remember right that is what killed some of my scotch pine years ago. My memory might be off as I have owned the property for over 50 years.

7. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Pine trees in general are dying all over the place.

8. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

I wouldn't try my method. Your method is better.