Douglas.lake

Discussion in 'Warm Water Fishing Inland LP Lakes' started by billgiffin, Aug 15, 2020.

1. billgiffin

billgiffin

No fishing pressure and will be there in september again...researched some and seems to good smallmouth population...so much structure....would love to be able to help my friend who has place there be able to catch fish. Any help...advice would be appreciated. So used to fishing Detroit river walleye ...look forward to doing a different form of fishing.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. shametamer

shametamer

with the exception of the CONOVER family there is less than 1 master angler fish per year from this lake in last 25 years...and then none of real noteworthy size..the ramp (public) was horrible for many years..now rebuilt..the parking was atrocious and utilizing the bar/restaurant lot often got you ticketed ,towed or vandalized...after dealing with all that several times i gave up worrying about fishing her..havent been there in 20 years..they used to have a retreat on the northeast shore...u of m or one of the big three as i recall... in my times on her..never put together a decent pattern and never caught much of note...i would try to contact someone that lives on her ..as i know very few that trailer to it that could be of much help(or would be)..great looking lake , great size, 1 0f 99 in michigan over a 1000 acres..too bad it just conjours up so many negative thoughts for me

3. billgiffin

billgiffin

4. concentroutin

concentroutin

Douglas is a very good, underrated smallmouth fishery. While true, the M.A. entries are low (1 smallie from my brother in there, ha ha), there are some tank smallies in there with good numbers of 2-4#'s as well. Plenty of largemouth compared to 20 years ago. Great pike numbers but bigger fish you need time and/or luck. My biggest is 30.5" but have seen a 34" in person and heard anecdotal stories of a few over 40", but average size tends to be 20-25". Pumpkinseed seem to be the dominant panfish, with plenty of good ones to 9". Most perch are micro variety and black crappie have been coming on in the last 8-10 years. We generally drift fish and pull crawler harnesses for all species, chuck large spinners for pike and smallies, and topwaters when conditions allow (rare). Good places include off the point of Pell's Island, North and South Fish Tale bays and numerous other weed beds. What may get really interesting is how the fishery may change in the next few years as there is now a 'true' connection to Burt Lake after the removal of the dam on the Maple River. Walleye, trout, better perch size structure; who knows? I am excited about the potential though as Burt is admittedly a much better all around fishery. Hope this helps.

bombcast likes this.
  5. SBE

SBE

How is the boat launch on this lake?

6. jasperdog

jasperdog Premium Member

Well the physical ramp, next to the DLB, is fine.
    The neighbors dislike your presence, more than any ramp I have used. Apparently, they are unhappy because the ramp was improved against thei wishes.
    There is limited parking. I would scout it first.
    The access shown on the NE end is only for physically able kayak paddlers. You will scratch your vehicle getting in there as well.

UM owns much of the frontage and they are not helpful regarding access.

7. concentroutin

concentroutin

Spent a week up at Douglas. Spent a couple of evenings in waders fishing a point and landed 3 smallies 16-18" and 1 25" pike; all released. Lost a shorter pike that spit the lure on a jump. All caught on jig head with twister tail. Not a lot of fish, but the bass were tournament variety and a lot fun. Beautiful time of year!

PerchPatrol and bombcast like this.
  8. Bigbass201

Bigbass201

I fished it just a couple weeks ago. It's a giant salad bowl imo. Tons of weeds really limit how you can fish that lake. Plenty of pike while I was there, but smallmouth were few and far between. If I fish it again it won't be till later in the year. I'd hit early during the spawn when you can increase your odds. Ramp wasn't too bad. Little shallow, but not that bad. Parking isn't great. I went when the restaurant was closed on a Monday.
    I can't get the images to upload on here. You can see the pics at the link below if you want. Wish they would let you upload from your files into the message box.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/fis...ston-michigan-fishing-report-09-1-t14036.html

concentroutin likes this.