Double header!

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by milanmark, Jun 18, 2020.

1. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

Took my youngest daughter out, lake was a little bumpy so we decided to go to the river. Started at the edge of the shipping channel and we didn't go far and I had a hit! Just then Jess had a hit also, we both reeled in but were unsure who actually had the fish! Figured my fish just got tangled in her line, she netted my fish then we got her untangled and she started reeling in and she had a fish too. Somehow in that firedrill we managed to land both fish, nice ones about 20"!
    Short time later I caught another one and Jess had a hit but lost it.
    Great start but didn't last and only a coupla shorts until one final fish right before we quit. Had three freighters to entertain me in between!
    I used the same rods and setups from my last trip to the lake except I changed the 2 oz BB out for 3 and 4 oz BB. Range of colors purple/pink, firetiger, gold etc... blade size 6 to 4.
    Water temp 67, speed approx 2.5mph but changed it up... Great day on the water!
    Jess really wants to get a limit though.... last time she had four came close!
    Oh yeah I carved out the cheeks... gonna try em for lunch.... PIA sure hope they are good!

C6C278A0-482E-4518-9690-893A608C47A9.jpeg 2944CAFE-1092-49C8-A74E-8510E4C4B392.jpeg F8478D1F-ADE4-407F-A000-915756233C57.jpeg 9E044AE2-D9BF-4EB9-AB8F-97F76A46F652.jpeg 5DBD6948-E91C-4CC9-A462-9241DC2A1009.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  2. Whopper 24

Whopper 24

Great morning!! Cheeks are easy to Remove once ya figure it out.. cut half circle around edge of cheek toward tail side ... pry up and cut under towards eye, flip towards mouth and peel skin off... delicious Especially preparation similar to shrimp scampi

3. Lake Boy

Lake Boy

Nice pictures Mark.Making more memories.

milanmark likes this.
  4. jscheel

jscheel

I love seeing the big freighters. I can spend hours in Sault Ste Marie watching them. I'm with you on the cheeks, P.I.T.A. if you need more fish, just catch another walleye.

5. 50incher

50incher

mm, just use whatever knife you do....scoop the blade from back to front on the cheek and leave some skin attached....then just use your thumb & peel the cheek right off....it works like a charm !!….

Tricks/tips for cheeks too....DO NOT OVER COOK THEM ! LOL....they are like shrimp, only a couple mins. & they are good, like 2 mins :)....longer ='s tough !....love your reports !....

"Big Tuna", sureshot006 and milanmark like this.
  6. Hook and Ladder

Hook and Ladder

Like Whopper and 50 said cut half circle and l just use my finger and pops right out. And my hands dont work like they use to. Battered and deep fried. Boiled and dipped in lemon garlic butter. Seasoned and baked or grilled. Can't beat them. Always willing to share fillets but l keep all the cheeks. Kinda like venison tenderloin. That's the reward for success.

Schroeder's Song and 50incher like this.
  7. straightShot

straightShot

Congratulations! Sounds like you both had a great time!

8. jstfish48162

jstfish48162

9. JDH

JDH

Save my cheeks throughout the year and use them in chowders during the winter. Little tougher meat holds up well. I refer to them as mini scallops

roger15055 likes this.
  10. milanmark

milanmark Premium Member

Well thanks for all the tips on how to carve out those cheeks...
    BUT....
    They were just ok... so I don’t plan on carving out anymore!
    Weren’t bad, just didn’t justify the effort!

jscheel and sureshot006 like this.
  11. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Try the eyeball next time. Just put a little pressure under it with your thumb and pop it out. Fry it up inside bread like a hush puppy. Cook along with the wings, tail chips and butt O's. Dont let anything go to waste lol

12. kisherfisher

kisherfisher

The cheeks go to my Bulldog, he knows they are coming when the boat pulls in the drive. Makes for a good holding spot to fillet. So many fish to clean , no need to do the survival skill filleting.

jstfish48162 and sureshot006 like this.
  13. BBBYpsi

BBBYpsi

Nice Job Mark & good report. I am sure your daughter will get her limit this year sometime.

milanmark likes this.
  14. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Good report Mark.
    Do enough cheeks and they go fast.

We make cheeks into chowder or scampi. Been years since fried any.

BBBYpsi likes this.
  15. roger15055

roger15055

Well I was relaxing in the tub after working on the boat after work. Enjoying a High Noon and chilling thinking one more wake up and I am on vacay for a week!! And then I read sureshot006 last remarks and busted out laughing and the mouth full of high noon is now in the tub:(:oops:

The Reel Slacker and milanmark like this.