Double bead presentation and snell knots

Discussion in 'Center Pin Fishing' started by Steve, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

I wondering if any of you tie in the top hook of a double bead presentation with a tag end long enough to snell the bottom hook as well. Then you would have to tie the bottom bead in at the same time you snell the bottom hook.

Seems like it would make for an excellent presentation with the line running straight down the whole rig.

Do any of you tie up sets of two hooks like this with bead of various colors ahead of time? If so how do you store them so its not a tangled mess?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  2. flyrodder46

flyrodder46

I have never tied a double bag setup. I have tied double beads though, and just store them on a piece of foam until needed.

1MoreKast likes this.

3. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Sorry, I meant beads. I edited my post.

4. 101thwacK

101thwacK

I am no expert Steve so take that for what its worth, but what you describe is exactly how I do my double bead. Long tag end from snelled knot on the top hook down to the second with another snelled knot. I have never lost a fish on the bottom hook due to the top knot breaking. I do not pre-tie my rigs, but if i did I think I would store them the same as my crawler harnesses.

[​IMG]

I have caught fish on the top and bottom bead, but the bottom bead catches 80% of my fish. I have started to wonder if running my shot pattern down to where my first hook would normally be and then running a single bead 12-18 inches below would be more beneficial? My reasoning is that if 80% of my bites are coming closer to bottom, maybe this would hold that lower bead in the strike zone better than having twice that much line after the last weight possibly allowing 2 beads to be floating higher in the water column? Or are those other 20% of fish ones I wouldn't catch at all if i was only running one bead? Something I plan on experimenting with this year.

Steve likes this.
  5. flowie

flowie

I tie them the way you describe but I use w palomar with a long tag for the top hook, snell the bottom...I just figured it was the natural,way to do it because I drop shot a lot.

6. boppa

boppa

I don't pre-tie my bead rigs (haven't tried 2 beads enuf), but I do pre-tie my 2 fly rigs for salmon and steel. Don't tie up using snell method but I do like my storage system. I use old CD cases for storing rigs. I wrap the entire leader around my fingers (4" diam. circle or so) and insert into plastic CD sleeve. I put 2 rigs in each sleeve separated by heavy paper. Both cases I use now (salmon and steel) zip up and measure about 5"x5"x 2" fully loaded. The CD cases fit in my vest pretty well and the rigs stay organized. I carry about 15 rigs or so in each case- only carry 1 case at a time. The cases would get pretty thick with bead rigs- single or double, but still could get 10 rigs or so in. I can change out 2 fly rigs in about 2-3 minutes and I don't leave my river spot to do it.

foxfire69 likes this.
  7. BMARKS

BMARKS

steve, have you caught any good fish on that okuma sst rod? hope its doing good by you, and hope it found a home thats giving it some use.

8. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

Didn't get to use it much last year. Hope it still has some fish left in it. I just bought another one just like it to use with a different reel.

BMARKS likes this.
  9. slightofhand

slightofhand

I use a lot of lazy Larry’s beads. You can swap them out without cutting your leader. 10mm UV Hot Cheddar stands on its head as soon as the suckers start running. Go long through an offset eye #4 hook and snell that one. Then with the “long” part below it (about 18 inches) I use a improved clinch on a straight eyed #4 hook. Take lazy Larry beads on and off as you want to change colors. I do have some pre tied double bead rigs also with conventional beads on them, like slayin steel or trout beads...anything UV yellow basically gets stacked full time in March. I have two leader keepers fully loaded with those setups pre tied ready to go when I am fishing. If one gets chewed up or lost on a snag, I bite at the swivel and tie a new one on, fishing again in less than 60 seconds. Pre tied is the only way to go with or without beads on them

breminnie and eggfly like this.
  10. 1MoreKast

1MoreKast

I've used the double bead set up before as you mentioned with the double snell. I don't pre-tie my leaders though. I think any of the aforementioned ways to store them would work fine.

As far as getting the rig down, I was thinking you could play around with a glass bead on the bottom with a soft or normal plastic bead on top? Something to play around with.

11. AdamBradley

AdamBradley

Personally when I have run double bead rigs it made more sense to tie separately to the bend of the upper hook. That made color switch outs more efficient by snipping off the bottom and tying on a different bottom bead opposed to cutting off a dedicated two bead leader.... however, I’ve gotten away from double beads as of late. I really find the fish end up wrapped up too frequently with the second hook sometimes getting into gills, belly, what have you. And when snagged up losing two bead rigs is exactly twice as annoying as losing one! I also found they would go for the bottom bead 90% of the time anyway. Anymore I just stick to a single bead, and change colors often until I find what they want that day.

If I have time before a trip I definitely spend an evening on the couch tying up single bead rigs and wrapping on a tackle buddy tube similar to the other tube shown above. Makes me far less lazy and willing to make a quick snip and tie when it comes to switching bead color/size.

Just my thoughts/approach.

Burz, Treven, Steve and 1 other person like this.
  12. belden148

belden148

Originally from Reed City. Akron OH these days
  13. belden148

belden148

Originally from Reed City. Akron OH these days
    I peg the bead and then slide it down to the hook, place it in the caddy and wind up the leader. You can't put split shot or a swivel on the leader, as the caddy will only wind up line with nothing on it. It looks like a mess, but the leaders all pull out nice and easy with no tangles.

Attached Files:

adam bomb likes this.
  14. adam bomb

adam bomb

I do the same thing. It works great. Even if the leaders work out a little I’ve pulled them all out and rewound them all at one time.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

belden148 likes this.