Don't be that guy that doesn't use his parking brake

Discussion in 'Lk. St. Clair and St. Clair River' started by rogerd, Aug 20, 2020.

1. jd4223

jd4223

I learned that the hard way. Was retrieving my boat at Belleville lake at Sandys Marina. Was driving a Ford Ranger with 4 wheel drive. Backed the trailer down the ramp,put on the e brake and loaded the boat onto the trailer and couldn't get the e brake to release. Had to put the truck in 4 wheel drive and literally dragged the boat and trailer up the ramp using only the front tires. Dragged the boat and trailer to a clear spot in the parking lot,disconnected the trailer and boat and had to drive across the street with the back wheels locked to a shop where they had to cut the e brake cable. If that shop hadn't have been across the street,I would have been screwed!

2. perchjerker

perchjerker

My old truck had a clutch. I did the same thing with a block of wood tied to the bumper, I would pull the whole thing along with me until I got to the tie down area, while people were pointing and yelling "hey you are dragging a block of wood"

Pulling a 22ft boat out of the lake with a clutch took a little practice lol

;)

3. usedtobeayooper

usedtobeayooper

Reminds me of how I learned to do it growing up. Rusty brown CJ7. By the time I was 12, we'd pull up to the dock, I'd jump off, my dad would back away with the boat and I'd head for the jeep & trailer. Seat wouldn't adjust forward enough, and the throw on the clutch peddle was awfully deep for my short legs... not to mention you had to turn the wheel about 15 times around to steer.... but it sure made me good at it later in life.

4. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

BFH!

tincanary, textox and Team Camo like this.
  5. William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Yes sir! I've seen more seized parking brakes at ramps then I have trucks in the drink.

JAA, gatorman841 and Gater DONE like this.
  6. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

Regarding the old parking brakes, I used to have a 1989 Pontiac Lemans with a manual transmission. I kept a rubber mallet in the trunk to hammer on the rim when the parking brake wouldn’t release. Sometimes I had to take the tire off too hammer on the drum. That usually did it.

so I got in the habit of only using the parking brake when on hills.

7. WallyWorld

WallyWorld

Been fishing for 9 years now. Just started using the parking break this year. Never had an accident, but I figure it's a good habit to get into. I mean why not? It's kind of a simple concept. I guess my younger brain was just too ignorant. Kind of like wearing a life jacket and kill switch when I'm driving 50 mph across the water. Simple and easy so why not.

8. taizer

taizer

If you dont use the parking brake often it will fail if its cable brake. newer vehicles have electric parking brake. They dont use a secondary set of brake pads or shoes to set the brakes they just pretty much apply manual brake to the rear pads.

I always set the parking brake first then shift to park, worked valet and parking on steep hills made me do that.

9. marty59

marty59

Years ago a coworker was launching at alter road with his full size van. He had another coworker back the van up a few more feet to load the boat. The coworker backs up and presses the emergency brake as we hear a loud "DONT SET THE PARKING BRAKE"! Needless to say, the parking brake froze up (had not been used ever) and we blocked the launch until a tow truck could pull us out of the way. Pretentded like i didnt know them! Hahahahahaha

Marty

JAA and William H Bonney like this.
  10. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

What parking brake? I do throw it in low range first gear and cut the wheel tight. The plus side is I don't need to use the clutch to start the jeep and pull out.

11. sullyxlh

sullyxlh

Good piece of mind to have in any truck/trailer arsenal..

[​IMG]

12. textox

textox

13. Zib

Zib

I have always used my parking break when launching & removing. I also turn my wheels all the way to one side so that if the parking brake & trans gives way my truck will bump into the dock.

14. tincanary

tincanary

Man, this reminds me of a Ranger I had in about '99 or so. I bought it with a seized rear driver side drum and spent every bit of 3 hours beating on it. When that drum came off, springs, rust, and brake shoe bits went everywhere.

sureshot006 likes this.
  15. Bruce William

Bruce William

I had a master cylinder break and the brakes just collapsed. Almost went right in but put it in drive and drover out.