close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Doing Some Homework For Next Year

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Michael Wagner, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Michael Wagner

Michael Wagner

My buddy & I have been saving our points and ready to pull the trigger. We are looking at guides for next season in the western U.P. I already talked to one and sort of liked what he said (he was recommended on here) I was just doing some internet looking and came up with a few and wondering if any of you had experiences with these guys, good, bad or ugly or add someone you liked.
    Thanks, Mike & Craig

Western U.P. Outfitters in Wakefield
    Bucks Sporting lodge in Seney, (hunts in Gwinn & Newberry)
    Bears Nine Pines in Lk. Gogebic
    Running Bear resort in Paulding

2. aquanator

aquanator

An obvious choice for many of us who have hunted with him is Hank Pole in Trout Creek (east of Bruce's Crossing). Hunts primarily Amasa and some in Baraga. Seems to take about 12-16 hunters, and runs around 90% success from what i can tell. The year we hunted with him the only one who didn't get a bear was a guy who couldn't sit for more than about 2 hours.

3. Michael Wagner

Michael Wagner

Thanks, Hank is already high on our list as is Wild Spirit. Just looking to see whats out there.

4. TVCJohn

TVCJohn

If Rooster hasn't PM'd you yet, IMO he is the resident Yooper expert with bear guide knowledge.

5. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn

Well TVCJohn, there's not many I would recommend. Hank Pole is the only ethical guide I have confidence in.

6. Craig M

Craig M

Can you pm me your thoughts on wild spirt and possible a few others that would be worth contacting?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

7. base3ecorse

base3ecorse

What is your best pick for bergland. I am going somewhere 2nd period theRe. Thanks

8. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn

Only thing I would add...if you hire a guide in the Bergland BMU you should be aware its illegal to guide in the Ottawa National Forest unless the guide has a special use permit and liability insurance. If guide is not a permit holder, and leo's catch him it could ruin your long awaited hunt. Its also illegal to guide in commercial forest land. The land owner has the right to deny access and file trespass charges. Lots of illegal guides in the Bergland unit.

9. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

You may want to PM him instead. I doubt he is checking a thread that's over 2 years old.

10. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. Just clicked on the communications key and it was there so I responded. Will be sure to check on dates in the future.