Dogs that roam around on other people property?

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by laserstraight, May 15, 2018 at 11:35 AM.

1. laserstraight

laserstraight

So while turkey hunting this weekend I had a hen hanging out with my decoy's. I was hoping a Tom would come in. I figure what is better than live bait! After about 20 minutes my neighbors two dogs come running up and chase the hen off. It has never been a problem in the past and I will go over and talk to them. But that does not mean it will not continue to happen. I do not know the neighbors so hopefully they will be good about it.
    My biggest concern is during deer season when I have limited time to hunt.
    I am assuming some of you have been through this before, how did you handle it
    if/when the neighbors did nothing about it.

Thanks
    LS

2. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Well don't call animal control until you have the dog on a leash or your neighbor promises it wont happen again .

3. Waif

Waif

Well....Blame the owners ,not the dogs.
    Be polite and the kind of neighbor you would have them be (at least at first) and let them know their dogs molested your hunt and that they are not welcome to be on your property.
    Nothing against dogs. (I'm a fan , and have had dogs escape before).
    But there are laws and responsibilities.

Further incidents will require further action ,but don't lose sleep over it just yet.

A neighbors visitors dog grabbed the tail feathers off one of the chickens I had ranging in my former yard.
    I told him his dog grabbed my prize winning chicken (no,it was no prize winner) and that I demanded restitution.
    He told me I could have the dog! l.o.l..

capper and Scout 2 like this.
  4. sorry to hear. I've had dogs use my property as a playground every day for hours, running thru deer beds, chasing rabbits, etc, mostly owned by amish. the deer and turkey don't put up with this after a couple a days where I am. only thing I've found that worked is to pester the owner over and over. I am only there on weekends.

laserstraight likes this.
  5. Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog

I believe Michigan does have a leash law.

6. Nostromo

Nostromo

Either way, they shouldn't be running loose without the owner/handler present.

7. Hunters Edge

Hunters Edge

Next time take a video with phone dogs chasing game and call your local CO in your county. They will make it plain to the owners. Either ticket, warning or removal of dogs. Dogs running loose are animal control issue. Dogs chasing wild game is a DNR issue.

laserstraight likes this.
  8. unfortunately, the 4 times on the morning I saved my best rut stand for the ideal conditions, the mostly white dog was waaaay too far to make out on video, it was easy for the eyes to pick out white movement from a long distance thru the thicket though

9. laserstraight

laserstraight

That is a great idea, I wish I would of thought of it when it happened,
    Thanks

Hunters Edge likes this.
  10. reddog1

reddog1

Michigan also has a nesting season where no dog may be unleashed in areas frequented by wildlife from April 15th -July 10th unless it is in a designated training area.

Nostromo likes this.
  11. WAUB-MUKWA

WAUB-MUKWA

In wolf country, problem solved.

12. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

We had two dogs terrorizing the area 2 years ago .A couple neighbors talked to the owner but were all but kicked off the property .My wife seen them coming down the road and called one over a labradoodle type dog very cute... the lab it was with had a mouth full of quills and ran off .I leashed the dog it was skinny and had sores on its back end .It had a tag which i threw in the trash and called animal control who came and got it .To my surprise the dog was on the news at noon about 2 weeks later all dolled up for adoption .I felt good as sooner or later someone would have shot it .Never seen the lab again .

Nostromo likes this.
  13. Nostromo

Nostromo

14. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Should make this a sticky

First time - I return the dog
    second time - it goes to animal control and if they want it back it costs $
    third time - it goes to animal control and it costs more $$
    fourth time - animal control will not allow them to have the animal back

reddog1 and Fishndude like this.
  15. SMITTY1233

SMITTY1233

You can have dogs unleashed on July 8th. The quiet time in this state runs from 4-16 to 7-8 each year

micooner likes this.