close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dogfish/Bowfin

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by StormFisher, Oct 13, 2017.

1. StormFisher

StormFisher

Does anybody know if these fish can grow to 8 foot long

2. dead short

dead short Mods

No, they don't. I think the current world record is around 41"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017

3. stickman1978

stickman1978

Master angler 27" , State record 14.00lbs.

4. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

Definitely not 8 foot long lol sturgeon yeah but bowfin. State record for michigan is 36 inches long.

5. walleye50

walleye50

When I was a kid I always fished for them using a treble hook and and a chunk of blugill and caught em that way, ugly as hell but fun to catch

multibeard and jimbo like this.
  6. Downsea

Downsea Premium Member

They put up a good fight! When I was a kid and went pike fishing with my grandfather, that's all he fished for, he would get pizzed and I mean livid when he thought he had a pike and pulled in a dogfish! He would beat it to death if we were on shore and "leave it for the coons". I didn't understand it all back then in the 60s. I still shook my head in the 70s when he did it!

7. StormFisher

StormFisher

Hey I appreciate all the replies, whatever this fish is it is as long as an 8-foot kayak and it attacks full grown geese, I assumed Pike myself but another local said he seen it was a dogfish, I didn't see the actual fish I seen the wake at left and the water from nose-to-tail the thing is about 8 ft long I didn't see the species though, that's why I inquired about the size of dogfish/bowfin, again thanks a lot guys and as soon as I catch this thing I will post pictures of it.

8. addictivefishing12345

addictivefishing12345

What lake is it and idk the only fish 8 foot long would be a lake sturgeon which could surface and scare some geese but wouldn't be able to eat them it would be eating insect larvae and crayfish otherwise it could be big muskie could maybe get 5 foot but not much bigger and that would be incredibly rare and and pike could be up to 4 and a half feet but that would be rare to those would be the only fish that would actually attack a geese but only a real big one would be able to eat one otherwise a bowfin couldn't eat one and wouldn't get over 3 feet.