Dog with food aggression

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by loomis82, Oct 23, 2020.

1. PrtyMolusk

PrtyMolusk Mods

Howdy-
    I understand your frustration, but PLEASE don't consider (or even mention again) putting her down! Borders are a lot of work, and re-homing might be the best solution.
    If that's the way you decide to go let the membership know and we'll do our darndest to help you find a suitable new home.

Fishfighter likes this.
  2. loomis82

loomis82

We don't want to put her down at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are in the Novi area

3. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Go to it's bowl while she's eating and show it WHO THE BOSS IS !!!! I've had every beagle I've ever owned "try" me, once..... They need too know you're the hand that feeds them and that same hand can choke them.... I know a lot will disagree BUT I've had 10+ beagle's "try" with thier food... You're the boss, you're in command, not them

4. 6Speed

6Speed Premium Member

Yep, this. One growl and lay her on her side. Hold your hands on both of her hips until she stops squirming. Ease off and let her try it again until she stops and knows you're the boss.

Just an Alpha problem...

eggfly, DanSS26, KJC and 5 others like this.
  5. Waif

Waif

Grind her down with exercise.
    Hold her feed dish while she eats.
    Then the next feeding take the dish you are holding away while telling her to sit. Or stay , or easy or whatever you tell her to be calm.
    Then set the dish down for her to finish.

When she shows no sign of defending her food by telling others to stay away , have your child do it while you closely supervise. IF you can closely supervise.
    You may imagine this would have been better to be doing a year and a half or more ago...

Or , only feed her in a crate.

But do caution the child to not take things away from the dog. Or try to.
    Which is kind of a bummer as the child ages and the dog grabs something it shouldn't.
    But that is how it is till it's taught different.

Tug of war is a fun game. But what does it teach the dog?
    What does it teach the dog if you take the toy every time after playing and the dog only gets to mouth it when you control it?
    Play to us is not always play to a dog.

In a home of humans there is a ranking. Where the dog fits in is for the dog to find out.
    With your highly intelligent dog , who is learning more about whom?
    Does the dog eat off your plate? Why not?
    Yet you are concerned if the dog says leave my food alone.
    It's whole life it's food has been it's food.
    What changed? Competitive gestures or looking at it?

A dog can often grasp a concept after a few repetitions. Grasp it well.
    But if it is something you would not want it to it can grasp the concept in only one exposure.
    I/we don't know what changed the dogs behavior. Or , if it has been there all along and only voiced recently.
    Defending it's food is natural when nothing else has been the norm for years.
    Much as it is a family member , it is an individual.

IF instinct is the moments influence , eating is survival. Not eat. No survive.
    Only when dominant pack members say back off till I allow you to eat , will a healthy subordinate not eat. And how do dominant pack members communicate "back off"?

Sharkbait11 likes this.
  6. Waif

Waif

Just pin the dog. I hold a shoulder and same side hip.
    Don't put it in pain when holding it down.
    Watch for a sigh of submission before releasing.

Not unlike what momma dog would have done.

Sharkbait11, snortwheeze and 6Speed like this.
  7. loomis82

loomis82

Thanks will try this

snortwheeze and 6Speed like this.
  8. OH-YEAH!!!

OH-YEAH!!! Premium Member

That only works for the alpha in the family. That’s going to reinforce to the dog the threat to its food and make it a ticking time bomb when a kid walks too close.

I’d feed the dog once a day in a locked room and not allow treats.

Tilden Hunter likes this.
  9. Scottygvsu

Scottygvsu

I don’t treat my dogs like they’re human children. I don’t call myself dad. I own my dogs.
    Do not risk a human child for a dog. If you’re uncomfortable with the dog around your little ones at all, it’s time for that dog to find a new home or go to the big farm in the sky.
    I almost always agree with Waif but on this topic I don’t.
    You can try all the passive remedies you want, but is the worst case scenario worth it? One snap and your life could be drastically different.
    I love my favorite hound almost as much as my wife. If he snapped at someone, he’d be on short time and I wouldn’t feel one bit of regret.

10. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Our shepherd has a food aggression, kinda minor compared to the others posted here. He took a snip at me and I smacked him. Now we trained him that while we are about to put his bowl down we hold a fist out and he just sits and waits.

My 10 year old daughter feeds him all the time. You can grab his bowl while he's eating and licking it clean and won't do anything. I think he wants to but isn't that aggressive.

Its a minor food aggression thing and luckily for our 2 year old dog we found a way cuz otherwise he's a damn good dog.

11. Joel/AK

Joel/AK

Our pup was the runt of the litter, so I'm sure he always had to fight for scraps or atleast defend his food. Luckily its not bad. Damn good dog but like us, not perfect

27379.jpeg

12. Mike da Carpenter

Mike da Carpenter

Hate to be callous here, but...Life is short, get rid of the dog. Having a dog around your kid that you can trust is the ONLY answer. Once that dog’s gone, and if you want another, wait till your daughter is a bit older and get one with her that can be “hers”. Yes, we all know it will beCome your dog to take care of, but she won’t know the difference.

GIDEON likes this.
  13. mcfish

mcfish

I had to do the alpha lockdown on one of my dogs at 6 months old. It worked and he’s a fine hunter and companion now.

But... he goes in his kennel anytime there are children coming over. He’s never growled or bit at anyone but I would be devastated if something happened. It happens in the blink of an eye.

You’re right to find the dog a new home. A bite to the face can change a child's life forever.

Dreamchaser likes this.
  14. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

This is normal. Feed the dog in a secluded spot. It and you will fell better.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  15. KJC

KJC

I remember when my Springer was chewing on something he shouldn't have had. I reached for it. and he growled and tried to bite me. I pulled away.
    Then I told myself, this is gonna hurt. I reached back in, but instead of grabbing the item he was chewing on, I grabbed his collar and twisted. He clamped his jaws down on my forearm, drew blood, but soon realized he couldn't breathe. Never had a problem again. He was a great dog for the next 15 years, until he passed.
    And yes it did hurt.
    Don't show fear, or the dog becomes Alpha.

snortwheeze and eggfly like this.