Dog with food aggression

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by loomis82, Oct 23, 2020.

1. loomis82

loomis82

Any tips on how to break this. We have a setter boarder collie mix. She's a great dog and very smart, but constantly growls when eating. I hate to have to get rid of her or have her put down. She's only two and besides eating time shes great. If you feed her and no one around her she's ok but with a young child I don't like taking the chance. If anyone on here would be interested in her let me know too. We wouldn't give her to just anyone because like I said she's a great dog besides feeding time. This is a pic of her

Attached Files:

2. plugger

plugger Premium Member

We had a border that was food crazy and we just shut her in the bathroom alone with her food bowl.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.

3. loomis82

loomis82

We just don't want to have to worry with a young one in the house. We've tried hand feeding her, talking nice with her my wife's at her wits ends with her and I'd hate to have to put her down because all the rest of the time she's good. She will just lay around with our younger daughter or whoever.

4. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

5. loomis82

loomis82

Yep we've read and done a lot of those things. And I believe she had the mild version. I think she would be a great fit with someone who had a decent size yard or even farm where she could run. Unfortunately we dont have that where we live.

6. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

@loomis82

Border collies are a very needy animal, from what I understand. Never new but 1 setter and it was a great dog. Have you tried feeding outside? I remember a couple borders that were different animals outdoors. Pretty combative in the house, especially when you went to leave. But the family members were ok, it was guests that had to watch they ass...LITERALLY!

7. loomis82

loomis82

Yep tried that. Like I said she's great besides the eating. She's never bit anyone but growls

8. CrawlerHarness

CrawlerHarness

My wife watches Ceasar religiously and we still couldn't solve our German Shepherd food aggression issue. It then turned into a crate aggression. He then started growling around our 8 year old daughter. He finally bit me on the hand when I was near his food. Luckily we found someone who needed a junk yard guard dog.....otherwise he would have gotten the 12-gauge.

9. loomis82

loomis82

Yeah I'd like to find her a home without kids. If you feed her and she's not bothered she's fine. Would be a great dog for single person. Will lay around all day with you

10. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

I would consult a trainer or get rid of it .Not worth the risk of a child with a scarred up face .My wife has a scar on her temple from a food aggression attack when she was young and i have seen pics of children with their face ripped open .Shelters will not adopt out a dog with food aggression issues and they are put down if they do not change .

11. Lund Explorer

Lund Explorer

Well, I wish could help out by taking your pooch, but too many grandkids running rampant around here let alone all the other critters. Like I said before, good luck. To both of you.

12. loomis82

loomis82

Thanks a lot. Hopefully someone will be interested. Like I said if you feed her and let her be she's fine and all other times she's fine

13. Polkahero

Polkahero

They make CBD oil for pets!

DanSS26 likes this.
  14. Waif

Waif

This starts with pups.
    At birth!
    Handled and socialized. Socialized with other dogs and humans. Including small humans.
    Feeding food when starting pups is you holding the dish. It's your food. Otherwise , who's food is it?
    Neglecting to socialize them ends up with isolated dogs that know only what they know.
    For example , "my food". My turf. My this or that.

I don't see your dog at fault.
    Work with it , or don't have a dog again.
    It is merely a result of what you created.

eggfly, jimbo and snortwheeze like this.
  15. loomis82

loomis82

This actually just started. We have always been around her when she was eating. She's never been neglected of any sort. Always around people. But thank you very much for imput.