Dog Lake Missanabie

Discussion in 'Out of State Fishing' started by ElectricKnight, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ElectricKnight

ElectricKnight

Hi gents,
    I am new to forums. But I have read as much info as I can find on previous threads. I am taking 4or 5 guys to Dog lake Missanabie on the first week of July. We are staying at Northern Walleye Lodge. I found most comments were negative. A few positive. Hopefully I can get more specific advice on a few things. There has been a guy MDH that has posted the most positive messages thus far (I think I accidentally sent him a pm) if so, sorry. I have signed up to this forum and one in Canada ( I am from London Ontario) I am looking for specific testimonials from late June to mid July. Areas of the lake to fish and how to fish it. I haven’t fished pickerel in 20 years but I am excited to try again even if it is challenging.
    There’s a Lenray that talks about quading out from Missanabie. I have a few questions about that for him or any one who has experience there. Fishing at these quad in lakes, can I get to the remote spots and back in one day? Are there boats already there or are you towing a boat behind your bike? I heard one reference to an Ash lake, on the map that appears to be not to far from our camp. Anything specific about that lake? Anyone fish either Souliere or Albert Lake? Sorry for the long winded post.

2. piketroller

piketroller

I fished dog lake 20 years ago in mid August. By then, most of the shallows were weed choked with pondweed making shallow water fishing difficult and frustrating. Things should be much better in your chosen time frame. Spend your first day mostly scouting and it will pay off for the rest of the trip.

3. Anita Dwink

Anita Dwink

Going on my 6th year in a row there. I'll be leaving the day before you arrive. There has been a lot of work done there since Warren bought it. The lake can be a challenge. I saw a few of the negatives on walleye central and a few here. Most of the people who had trouble while i was there rolled out of bed and hit the water after 10:00. Trolled around til 3 and complained about not getting many . I always go the last week of June. There are are few others I have traded info with before going up. Pm me and I will give share. I usually adopt a struggling Canadian camp while I'm there under certain conditions. 1. They have to lie about where i take them when asked where they caught em. 2. They bring a side dish for the fish fry before we head out and a few cold ones to wash down fried Walleye. My son and friend with a few of a am catch. 20170628_213806.jpg

Scout 2 and stickman1978 like this.
  4. ElectricKnight

ElectricKnight

Good catch! We hope to have days like that while we are there! I started a conversation with you. Hopefully you can help. Whatever advice given is appreciated! I will report back our success.
    Thanks

5. grapestomper

grapestomper

I was there 3 years ago. Won't be going back any time soon.
    Way better lakes out their than Dog Lake.
    We have gone to Minnesota the last 2 years. Not even close on how much better the fishing is than dog lake. I wish you luck. The only thing good about
    Dog lake was the perch fishing.

6. ElectricKnight

ElectricKnight

Where abouts did you have luck for perch? What week of summer were you there and what time of day were you fishing?
    Thanks for the reply

7. lenray

lenray

8. lenray

lenray

It is a beautiful area up there and Dog is a rather big lake. I am fishing 600 miles north west of there now and it is great fishing. We tent camp and drive 1200 miles from central Michigan and boat up a river 10-14 miles and portage off of that.
    I think for those who really know DOG lAKE Can catch fish, but it will take some time to find the good areas. There are two portage lakes off of Dog that have boats.

9. ElectricKnight

ElectricKnight

Hey Lenray, thanks. What are the names of the lakes that have boats already there? I read an old post of yours that suggested Ash lake to someone, was that one of them? Do I need to speak to anyone, pay someone to use the boats?

10. walleyerick

walleyerick

Fished it a few years ago. We were there in Mid June. We slow trolled harnesses (Salmon beads/Hammered gold/bronze spinners) and caught enough walleyes to keep us interested. We were catching them in 3-10 fow. Most of the locals were slip-bobbering with leeches and minnows. Pike were hard to find. Most were caught near weeds (hard to find) and around any of the many beaver lodges on the lake. Also caught smallies near the lodges. We saw whitefish surfacing for bugs, but did not catch any. It is a BIG lake. Lots of rock uprisings out there as well, most are marked. If you have your own boat, there numerous lakes around the area that you could travel to and catch fish also.

11. grapestomper

grapestomper

At the far top end of Emily bay. All the way to the end on the right hand side. Bunch of weeds.

12. lenray

lenray

13. lenray

lenray

14. lenray

lenray

The one lake I quad to is out of town about 5-7 miles maybe only 4 not sure . It is called Stephenson. We pulled a boat out there with the quad. It is maybe a mile or so off the main road if you can call it a main rd.--never saw any one else there in the half dozen time we fished it. We always caught eyes and son in law caught a 40 inch plus pike. Enough eyes for good meals. jeeped out to McKeon sp. it had a lot of pike.....usually saw moose and bear....the old gold mine area is interesting.
    Looking for a blue gill lake in the UP OF MICHIGAN. Willing to share eye and pike info. for NW ONTARIO. PROBABLY pm IS BEST....one fella stated they catch enough to keep interested. The water I am on now--I go to the boat to warm up my 3 HP motor and my buddy is getting his poles and lunch around. While he is doing that--the number of eyes I catch if they were caught down here in the lower of Michigan in those few minutes--they would go to the local newspaper and have a pic taken....

15. MSUFW07

MSUFW07

We fished it prob 20 years ago also. We stayed at Island View Camp, which is west of where you are staying. We fished in Bay 57 for most of the time we were there. Be careful going through the narrows we banged a couple of rocks that were bigger then our boat coming back through at night. We trolled a lot and caught some pike and walleye, also fished with worms for smallmouth where the rocks ledges went right to the waters edge. Best of luck up there.