Dog attacked

Discussion in 'Sound Off' started by Oldgrandman, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Oldgrandman

Oldgrandman Woods and Water Rat Premium Member

I like that and the bleach thing. But my wife isn't as self aware let alone of her surroundings as she should be. I don't trust her to have a good aim. This dogs head was right on ours in a New York minute she said and had her by the throat. As soon as we can we are going to see about getting her into a class and buying a taser.
    Having been a butcher I have some very sharp knives, she's carrying one now like I do.

I really regret not going with her that time. Appreciate the responses!

2. wpmisport

wpmisport

Would you be able to get to the base of the nose every time on a dog attack? My work just fine in some situations but it others you may need something different.

3. ART

ART

Stopped an attack while I was riding my bike exactly like that. Didn't knock it out, but set it to howling and thrashing around on the road.....knocked several of it's own teeth out....it never chased me again.

So-hooked, FREEPOP and Oldgrandman like this.
  4. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Well, two "elderly" gentlemen near me carry something like that. One is a retired Sheriff's deputy so he has a night stick. The other was an autoworker so he made his own. They both had been attacked while walking their pet dogs. Never were attacked again. So I have to wonder if dogs actually know instinctively what a club is.

5. Waif

Waif

Walking stick,cane , breaking stick (the 2 footer mentioned used to subdue a dog and pry jaws apart) all reflect in the carriers attitude /posture IF the carrier is confident.
    Same as a firearm might ,or might not.

I'm a dog fan. Obviously by being surrounded by them. But it's on the owner if a dog can access other dogs,animals or people.

A maul handled couple quick bonks changed one dogs attitude that wanted to engage with a former beagle of mine.
    More than required , but effective.

Read an article a while back that made sense. A stick is instinctive to be accurate with when excited /cranked up. Vs a gun or spray ect. if not practiced with under stress.

6. Oldgrandman

Interesting information. I (we) like the taser because if the dog is on her or our dog, contact will be easy and punishment immediate. Some things we will ask the crew at Silver Bullet.

She definitely would have hit our dog with a stick or spray by the time it was attacking, she stated it paused to sniff like many dos do then went at our dog. I also worry that hitting the dog with less than sufficient force may just piss it off.

Now she could just spray or wack any approaching dog not leashed, but as a dog lover I doubt she would. But then again that may not be a bad idea with a spray that won't permanently injure the animal.

So here is Daisy Duke with this goiter like lump. She's fuzzy now as we can't get her groomed, but our groomer is a friend so we will probably do that soon anyway.....with precautions. This is another thing I don't get why is closed considering some of the other things that are open :rolleyes:

goiter.JPG

So-hooked likes this.
  7. Waif

Waif

Maybe let your wife practice on you with a stick to test the effectiveness. L.o.l..
    Leverage is there though. A surprising amount if deliberate.
    Too heavy a stick is not good , but make it a stout/tough variety so it don't break.

Your dog might have a hematoma from getting pinched/bit slowly dissolving.

Oldgrandman likes this.
  8. Oldgrandman

HAHAH!

We took her in and they drained it, no infection probably what you said.

My mushroom stick is perfect. IDK what kind of tree it is, but it floated by on the St. Marys river one year while fishing. It is almost as light as balsa wood but hard as a rock after drying it out. It was missing the bark and looks like it has prop marks on it from being run over. I really like it. I had to cut it to length for me so she cannot have it, too bad I didn't save the rest of it.

Waif likes this.
  9. waxico

waxico

Glad to hear about Daisy's happy ending. Need some good news; read my March 401K statement. Good thing I loaded up on automotive and oil stocks....

Oldgrandman likes this.
  10. So-hooked

So-hooked

Sorry to hear OP, we have problems with dogs coming out to us while walking ours on a leash in our rural area.
    I always carry my 38 revolver but during a dog attack, things happen so fast, I'm worried I'd hit my dog! So first line of defense is pepper spray. If we happen to hit our dog also, at least it wont be fatal.
    I had to use it once to fend off 2 German shepherds that chased us down the road. Didn't hit my dog think god and the dude had the balls to run out in the road yelling at us as we tried getting away as fast as we could :mad:

As a pit bull owner, that's spot on. I'm not blinded by the fact that they're some bad ones. You can usual tell early on and take care of the problem then...

OH-YEAH!!! and Oldgrandman like this.
  11. MontcalmCounty

MontcalmCounty

Are you thinking of an actual Taser that deploys two metal prongs out of an expendable "cartridge", or a stun gun which actually makes physical contact with the intended target?

An actual taser may be significantly more difficult to be accurate with, especially at such close range. And then, the closer you are, the less the spread which may prove to be less effective on a larger dog.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

12. Oldgrandman

I may have it backwards. The one that you jab into someone or in this case a dog. Because yeah, I don't trust her aim. Have a few questions for them when we can go see about getting this done.

13. FIJI

FIJI IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives! Premium Member

Not illegal to walk around with a 4-Iron.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  14. Oldgrandman

She's got this for now, if I am not around. I am still not sure she will aim well! She's on the small and somewhat weak.
    DSCN1995.JPG

Looking to get this.
    taz gun.jpg

FIJI likes this.
  15. ART

ART

I have been attacked twice, my daughter once. I was with my brother when he got pulled of his bike and severely bit by a German Shepard, a relative that had a dog that attacked a couple people, and a friend who's young daughter was badly disfigured in an attack. I don't trust dogs, and I carry when I walk. If a dog is about to attack, or actively attacking...............