Does This Buck Know I am there?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Smith&Brownie, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Smith&Brownie

Smith&Brownie

Take a look at this picture. This particular buck I was hunting all fall. I had a close encounter with him on October 1st from this same spot. I was at full draw for about 3 minutes but unable to slip in arrow through the brush. He would frequent this spot every other week.

Now, to describe this picture. This camera is set up right in front of my ladder stand. So looking out toward the deer, my stand is off the cameras right shoulder. In this pic he is looking up to where I would normally be sitting. Do you think he knows?? Or is he just taking a gander? I did have another picture of this same deer 2 weeks after this at the beginning of November.

Am I busted? Should I move the stand? Or am I still good to hang this ladder in this tree next year? He's never busted when I've sat here, sight or smell.

Attached Files:

2. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

Pretty cool you captured this.

He sure looks like he has your stand picked out.

FREEPOP and Smith&Brownie like this.

3. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

Could just be coincidence or there could be scent on your ladder and/or camera. Do you always wear gloves when touching them both?

How often were you at that spot during the season?

Smith&Brownie likes this.
  4. tdejong302

tdejong302

5. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

He was looking at a racoon chewing on your seat

6. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Dandy buck! Something up there got his attention for sure.

Hope you see him again this coming year.

7. retired dundo

retired dundo

Sometimes cameras make a little noise.I have a lot of pictures of deer looking right at the camera.That why I always put mine out in front of my blind facing my blind.That way if they look at the camera they are looking away from the blind.

8. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Agree especially the older cams .

9. Bucman

Bucman

I think it’s coincidence. His ears aren’t focused toward your stand.

huntallday and Smith&Brownie like this.
  10. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Mybe string for pulling weapon up?

11. old graybeard

old graybeard

With a buck that good to be safe I would move the stand, that way if he does have it located your off the hook. Relocate it close by and keep everything clean. If it was me i would forget the cam also. Just my 2 cents.

12. Smith&Brownie

Smith&Brownie

I probably sat this specific stand 4 or 5 times. It can only be hunted with an Easterly wind. E, NE, or SE. I don't always wear gloves when I handle the camera but I use ozone, shower, and spray before I leave my truck. I like to think my scent is very minimal, but obviously still present. I do know on windy days there is a tag on one of the ratchet straps that will make a sound like a card in the spokes of your bicycle tire. Keep in mind I got more pictures of this guy at this very spot up until the beginning of November.

13. Smith&Brownie

Smith&Brownie

This was a new spot for me on the farm this year so I've had the camera up since early August and got pictures of him and other nice bucks throughout the off season and into bow season. The stand is pretty covered up with limbs coming in front of the stand to help keep me hidden. I may have to look to see if there is another tree nearby; however, from what I could tell this is the only one SAFE enough for a stand!

14. Smith&Brownie

Smith&Brownie

I'll get ole yeller out there this winter and tree them coons

15. old graybeard

old graybeard

Sounds like that's the tree to be using then. I would say stick with it but keep it clean, hunt only with the right wind and keep movement to a minimum. I had a certain old buck that would find every cam I put out in his area, proven by him close up and staring at the cam, I finally removed the cams all together and then I started getting glimpses of him moving through the area. Good luck to you!