Does a vertical need to be cased?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by fishx65, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Namrock

Namrock

It wasn't that many years ago that they changed their rule about bow cases. The story I got from them was a few years ago someone brought in an old bow to be worked on, & filled their empty case with a brand new one on the way out. & Yeah it can be an annoying rule for sure.

jiggin is livin likes this.
  2. MossyHorns

MossyHorns

Glad I could help! Many of us are here to help and learn.

I still plan on hauling mine in a case, because I don't feel comfortable taking a chance on the bumping the sight or rest. At least I know that I don't have to use all the latches on the case if don't want to.

Namrock likes this.

3. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Don’t feel bad Namrock, as I think I interpreted it the same as you did. The language could definitely been written differently for easier clarification. It did clarify also, that the law does not apply to private property.

Also - I think they should change the language about being transported in the “trunk of the vehicle”. How many vehicles actually have a “trunk” anymore?

Namrock and FREEPOP like this.
  4. FREEPOP

FREEPOP

Especially hunting vehicles

Wild Thing likes this.
  5. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

The “trunk” and the bed of a pick up are the same thing in a legal sense. An SUV I could see being a bit more fuzzy, but still, further from the driver would work. If you had it in the back of an SUV in the cargo area, I couldn’t imagine anyone actually giving you a hard time.

Then using the word “trunk” in today’s world is proof of how inept they are, and/or out of date. It leaves a ton of wiggle room for a lawyer though.

MossyHorns and Wild Thing like this.
  6. fishx65

fishx65

So I'm going with this one still:

PA 272 (HB 5417) – Transporting of a Bow – Rep. Johnson This act amends the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act to allow an individual to transport a bow or crossbow in their vehicle without having to be unstrung, enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of the car if it is unloaded and uncocked.

It's nice getting to the truck after a nasty December bowhunt and not have to put your Bow/Icicle in it's case. I almost wonder if most DNR officers are even aware of this change.

7. 2stix-and-a-string

2stix-and-a-string

I just quick unstrung mine and good to go