Docks

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Gillgitter, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

Anyone here have any experience building a permanent wood dock?

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever

Nope

My lake is 6 miles long by 3 miles wide!

3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

What type of lake? Certain lakes are pretty tough because of ice in the winter. Is it a private lake? Most lakes in michigan you need a permit from DEQ for any type of permanent dock. Docks have to be removed yearly without permit. If you own the lake or if it is completely private that probably changes things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

4. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

The dock in question was built probably 10-12 years ago by the previous owner. I am not sure what if any permits he had. There is a DNR presence most weekends on the lake so I'm sure if there was a problem someone would have heard about it by now.
    As I said, the dock is older, but is in good shape, it never had any problems other than a few boards that rotted. This year for some reason the ice heaved several posts near the shore that now have to be re water jetted back down.
    I was wondering if there was anybody here that had experience in building docks knew of any tricks to keep them from heaving again or had any idea why after all these years it would heave now.

5. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Follow the money when it comes to permanent docks .

6. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

Not sure what that means.

7. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer

Means big money on high tax lakes get to do what they want because they can pay for the permits .Little guys now days not so much .

8. Fool'em

Fool'em

I've never heard of a dock permit

My old man has 2 permanent wood docks. We built them by jetting in 6x6 posts thru the ice. End of both docks are in 10ft of water. We used about
    Twice as many posts as you would think and sunk them 6-8 ft in the bottom.
    Depending on ice conditions we still get damage in the thaw. Too much south wind as the ice is pulling away from shore and we have some work to do. If conditions are good everything is fine. It's about every 3 years or so we have to straighten some of the posts.

I guess it never occurred to us that we needed a permit to build a little dock on private ground.
    Oh well I'll still sleep fine at night!
    I guess someday when it's time to rebuild the docks I most likely will have forgotten about the permit again:)

9. pavy31

pavy31

Yep just built 4 last summer.

10. piketroller

piketroller

A lot of the old time docks on the Canadian side up around the Soo put horizontal pieces of lumber between the posts to build cribs that they fill with rocks. The extra weight helps resist the ice. You just need to find some farm fields where you can haul away some farmer’s problems to make them your solutions.

11. Gillgitter

Gillgitter

Did you use 4X4's or 6X6's for your posts?