Do bullets deteriorate with age?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Lindsey, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Lindsey

Lindsey

Do cup and core bullets degrade with time? I have some Remington Core Lokt bullets, 200g 35 Rem, loaded in factory Remington Hi-Speed cartridges. They were stored indoors and look okay. I don't know how old they are but one of the boxes has a $4.50 price tag on it. If I had to guess, I'd guess that they were purchased in the late 60's or early 70's. I'm pretty confident that the cartridges will fire and produce like-new velocities. My question is whether the old bullets will still perform well for hunting deer? I searched the forum and didn't find a good answer in previous posts. Any of the reloaders here have knowledge about how 50-ish year old cup and core bullets might work on game?
    Thanks

2. AlR

AlR

never heard of bullets going bad, I'd have no reservations on shooting those core-lokts on game.

that being said, there might be some collector value on a vintage full boxed ammo and if you don't need to shoot it, I'd tuck it away just for a conversation piece 20yrs from now.

6thMichCav likes this.

3. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

The bullets will be just fine.

4. Lindsey

Lindsey

Thanks for your answers

5. cotote wacker

cotote wacker

Found a one room log cabin and a rock pile from a sauna in the UP 18 miles from the nearest town in 1994, had to drive across 2 rivers. Logs were rotted to where the door opening was 3' tall metal roof is what saved it...under the floor boards found a metal box with a full box of blue and yellow with bullseye Winchester 30-30 and 32 Short rimfire boxes looked very good, ammo other than heavy gray powder on the lead bullets and brass looking dull....
    Fired 2 rounds of each over a chronograph 32 Rimfire Short 930 fps....30-30 170gr 2180 fps....
    Checking the code on the 32 RF made in 1936.....30-30 1938....
    Met a old gentleman a couple miles from the cabin still hunting a couple years after my find. Asked about the cabin he said back when he started hunting the area in 1941 they would get a ride in a large sled pulled by 2 horses that carried logs. 2 gentleman would stay in the cabin with the owner they hunted in all grey wool with fine red plaid lines.

Keep ammo in a cool dry place it could last 100 years....

Tilden Hunter and Horseshoe like this.
  6. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

I have most of a box of Win Silver tips priced at $4.50 bought to go on an AK moose hunt in 1967. Got the moose and would not hesitate using the balance on a moose, etc.

Have some Nosler bullets-Zipedo-243s, I believe, and I wish there were some available. They were available in the late 60s, just bullets.
    Anyone w/ some partial/full boxes on the loading bench, willing to part w/, please advise.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020