DNR Spokesperson makes no sense with crossbow statement

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by SmittySlayer, Mar 12, 2009.

1. SmittySlayer

SmittySlayer Guest

In the article tonight in the Flint Journal it quoted DNR spokesperson Mary Dettloff as saying "We need to expand hunting oppertunities. The DNR is dependent on restricted funds. We need to do what we can to expand use and the user base". My question is "Why does this not include the youngest hunters?" They want to "Expand the user base" and yet they are not expanding the new hunter base which EVERYONE says is the most important group we need to be bringing into the fold. Of course I am happy with the first step to full inclusion, but with my kids the concern is having an effective way to hunt deer when they are 10. I won't be comfortable if they can't pull back enough weight to put a good shot on a deer. My hope is that in the next few years they include young people too. I'd like to at least see girls be able to crossbows to the age of 14 and boys 12 or something to that effect. Since we're "trying" it on the "old" end of the spectrum, why not the "young" end?

2. TOW

TOW

The young are our future. They missed the boat on eliminating the 10 and 11 year olds....

3. BowDave

BowDave Guest

You are so correct... I think even younger . I watch my 7 year old play video games, blows my mind! I think she would be real easy to teach how to shoot a deer with the right firearm a year from now... with adult supervision of course!!

4. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

A very small percentage of 10 year olds are physically ready to pull and hold a hunting bow that is of adequate poundage.

Children by law have to be supervised by an adult when hunting.

10 year olds can legallly hunt coyotes with a 30.06, even in the SLP.

10 year olds can use a shotgun to hunt small game.

To exclude 10 and 11 year olds, who are legally of age to participate in archery season, from using a crossbow during archery season is asinine.

5. Michihunter

Michihunter

This was the one thing I was most passionate about and the one thing I am fully educated upon. The ones that would have benefited most from inclusion are those that were left out. There is nothing that can dissuade me from saying that the NRC definitely blundered when it made this decision.

6. Liv4Huntin'

Liv4Huntin'

So what can we as citizens and fellow hunters do to 'encourage' the correction of this 'blunder' ? Or will it take the Legislature to correct this? This is TOO BIG of a screw up (IMO) to let it slide......
    ~m~

7. SmittySlayer

SmittySlayer Guest

I agree 110% with all of the above statements. One of the major items that bothers me not only about this issue but about government in general is how they act like they are doing us a huge favor when they relax/change some rules and that we should be happy with anything "we get".

8. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

I have to tell you, it genuinely stirs my heart to read your statement. I concur 100%. I also reject the idea that we're apparently supposed to function as subservient sheep to the ruling class and just be thankful when they throw us some bones.

Pure and simple, this exclusion of 10 & 11 year olds is bureaucratic incompetence in action.

9. skulldugary

skulldugary

10. bradymsu

bradymsu

The Friday following the vote, I expressed by displeasure to a DNR employee that the NRC's vote discriminated both against youth and hunters in northern Michigan. The DNR employee disagreed, saying the new rules were "quite permissive". That bothers me.

Government has a duty to protect public health, safety and general welfare. The DNR's mission is to provide for the general welfare of current and future residents of this state by managing the use of our natural resources and also protecting the safety of natural resource users. If crossbows don't pose a safety threat or a management threat during a certain season, the state has no right to forbid their use. The state doesn't grant permission to the public on anything. That's backwards.

Unfortunately, this is an attitude we see all too often from unelected bureaucrats, appointed board members and even a few legislators who've been in office too long and who have developed a nobility complex. The solution to this problem has to come from you. You can't expect anyone else to do it for you. And I mean "you" in the plural sense.

11. Riva

Riva Banned

A lonesome area, other Kansans call "out there".
    Here's the bottom line...The DNR Wildlife Division has categorically stated that the use of crossbows will not have a negative effect on wildlife population during any/all hunting seasons. Done deal! (see my signature)

Furthermore, we were even provided with hand-signed, Becky Humphries "get out of jail free card" that reiterates the DNR statement contained in Wildlife Conservation order #2 of 2009, was not taken out of context.

Proposal G requires that we must manage the resource solely on sound scientific principles. Thus, based on the DNR written statement(s), the ONLY option available to the NRC during last week's meeting was full inclusion of the crossbow on statewide basis. The NRC did not approve full inclusion on a statewide basis therefore, they ignored Proposal G.

The NRC took a giant step forward last week. The trouble is, they were required to take three; including zones 1 and 2!

This is the only issue in my book and, this is the only message that must now be hammered home to the legislature.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  12. DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

DANIEL MARK ZAPOLSKI

once again riva your literary skills have stated it all. nothing more be said:coolgleam

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  13. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Admin Mod

I thought that the legal firearm age was lowered from 14 to 12 two years ago. In that same time I thought it was made legal for 10 and 11 year olds to hunt with a bow and arrow.
    If that is the case, the NRC's stance on a safety issue with a weapon that is cocked, locked and ready to rock may at least have some validity...
    <----<<<

14. Michihunter

Michihunter

Those are the regs for deer season only. But I find it odd that it's perfectly alright for a 10 yr old to use a shotgun (or even a 30.06) during small game(during the concurrent archery season no less) yet cannot use a crossbow for deer season.

15. Riva

Riva Banned

A lonesome area, other Kansans call "out there".
    Well, thanks. Some here are of the opinion that most of my comments belong where cats go to fart...the "litter airy". :lol: