DNR Public Forum for St. Clair Winter Musky Harvest Season April 9th

Discussion in 'Darkhouse Spearing' started by Firefighter, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Firefighter

Firefighter

For those able and wanting to voice their opinion regarding a winter musky harvest season that includes spearing (as well as tip ups and rod and reel), the DNR is holding a public forum on April 9th.

This is part of the "Conversations and Coffee" series and the opinions voiced will be considered by the NRC when they make their decision.

The meeting will take place Monday, April 9 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the American Legion Post No. 4 located at 401 Groesbeck Highway in Mt. Clemens.

MDAA has proposed only a 1 week harvest season as a trial in early February and supports registration and biological collection of data on harvested fish.

Those interested are encouraged to attend. This will be the only public forum opportunity on the issue.

Here is the complete list of the Conversations and Coffee series :
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79146_81211-463998--,00.html

Scottygvsu, Waif, fish2much and 6 others like this.
  2. zer0

zer0

Made the trip down from Flint. Looks like the parking lot here at the Legion is starting to fill in.

3. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

Better come find us. You’re outnumbered. Me and Jeremy and Jim are here too

Scottygvsu, Waif and Firefighter like this.
  4. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

If we don’t make it out. Tell the world our story.

5. zer0

zer0

Made it out alive!

That was the first Conversations and Coffee event I have attended, and can say that the event is 100% as advertised. Conversations outnumbered the coffee intake by 3-1. Overall I really enjoyed the event, and will continue to participate in them. Having an open format to interact with the different representatives from the DNR in a targeted discussion seems to be a worthwhile endeavor for the anglers that wish to participate. Along with the ability to have face to face conversations with anglers whom do not necessarily share the exact same views as yourself.

Duke, Scottygvsu, Waif and 4 others like this.
  6. Duke

Duke Habitual outdoorsman

The 'Conversations and Coffee' are run differently by the DNR Lake Erie Management Unit than anywhere else in the state. These guys run it unstructured, completely just a mingling atmosphere.

Everywhere else they run it like a town hall meeting. DNR up front, crowd is seated and there is discussion, questions, answers one person at a time amongst each other and with the DNR.

Both have their advantages I think. Actually a half/half of both formats would probably be best. The mingling style would be better as 'Kegs and Conversations' (what could possibly go wrong?...)

Good talking with you again Ryan! Sorry I didn't meet you other fellas.

chuckinduck and zer0 like this.
  7. chuckinduck

chuckinduck

I agree. I think the back and forth dialogue would’ve been better so both sides could voice their opinions and concerns. Writing down your opinions on those boards really didn’t do much for me. I was actually hoping to get a chance to put a name with some of the familiar faces so we could all work towards a common goal : Managing Lake St. Clair’s resource in a safe manner yet afford all citizens the opportunity to pursue these fish in whatever method they prefer.

8. maddiedog

maddiedog

Damn it! I really wanted to meet you and didn't even think to see if you would've been there. Maybe I'll see you on the ice looking down a hole

WB10

9. Duke

Duke Habitual outdoorsman

Yeah shoot sorry I missed you, but I’ll take you up on that offer and help cut the hole!

zer0, maddiedog and chuckinduck like this.