close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DNR harvesting fish

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Whitetail_hunter, Sep 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swampbuck

swampbuck

I have never fished it, but am planning to get out salmon fishing sometime in my time off that starts Friday. I may just head over there.

Huntingguy23 likes this.
  2. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

Best of luck to you. Enjoy your time off.

3. Huntingguy23

Huntingguy23

4. Huntingguy23

Huntingguy23

You keep "swallowing " whatever the DNR sends your way ...i will believe what my eyes see . i was on the Platte in 1967 when the first Coho returned...along with EVERY other salmon fisherman in the state cause it was the only game in town . If the DNR continues on its current path you will have alot of company . Lk Michigan is struggling with a lack of nutrients to support the bottom of the food chain because of the incredible efficiency of the mussels . This should not be news to you... This created a lack of baitfish and a reduction in salmon plants lakewide ... except for the Platte .... dismal returns elsewhere.... surplus on the Platte ... you are gonna have alot of company

itchn2fish and Whitetail_hunter like this.
  5. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

The salmon fishery has had a nice bounce back year thanks to the efforts of the dnr. Hopefully it continues to have this balance. The 4 rivers I have fished this year have had plenty of fish to keep me happy and two of them rely solely on natural reproduction. In regards to believing what your eyes see, I am doin the same. I know that those 5000 fish removed from the river did absolutely nothing to effect my fishing success and did nothing to bunch up my panties. Quit operating with a one track thought process. It's been hot and sunny lately and when too many fish sit in a spot they get stressed and oxygen gets depleted. The DNR isn't out to get you and some of the scientists and higher ups may even have an idea what they are doing. They aren't perfect but something tells me they have a better grasp on the situation than you or I.

6. Huntingguy23

Huntingguy23

Glad to see you were able to see the world .... what branch of the military were you in ? As far as believing everything the DNR tells us ... you mean like the 40 yrs they told everyone that the salmon could not naturally reproduce in the great lakes because a lack of thymine in their diet ? And although the taxpayers paid for the research and for fisheries biologists every one of those years no one bothered to check? And despite multiple warnings did nothing to monitor the dumping of ballast water into the great lakes allowing countless invasive species in to change the evolutionary path forever? Do some research the invasives alone could not alone destroy the Lk Huron ecosystem, the Michigan DNR had to ignore science and continue to plant millions of salmon all the while not knowing how many salmon already were there from natural reproduction.... which created the largest natural disaster in modern history... it is yet to fully recover ....

itchn2fish likes this.
  7. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

Who said to believe everything they tell You? That's as silly as not believing anything they tell you. I like to think they make mistakes and learn from them. It's a pretty sensitive and difficult thing they are managing. Also incredibly unique. I was not in the military, I just irresponsibly spend my money and like to see places.

8. Huntingguy23

Huntingguy23

Boy you sure are an easy mark ... bet you got the scotch guard and the clear coat on your last new car .... To forgive the DNR for that one little mistake of ruining a great lake ... possibly forever . How do you get over the DNR not Noticing that salmon can naturally reproduce for over 40 years ?

9. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

Do you think they intentionally "ruined" Lake Huron? Do you realize how unique the situation is? Do you think trying to manage such a unique ecosystem is easy? Do you think trying to establish a saltwater migratory 3-4 year cycle fish in the most unique freshwater environment on earth should be simple? Also, do you hold grudges forever? Are the same people currently in charge? What does that mistake have to do with what they are doing now? Seems like they learned from it and have helped prevent Lake Michigan from suffering the same fate for now at least. Also, in my opinion, Lake Huron is not "ruined."

SJC likes this.
  10. Huntingguy23

Huntingguy23

Thought you said people shouldn't have an opinion where they don't fish . When is the last time you fished Huron ? Tons of business owners in Oscoda Harbor Beach and Harrisville would beg to differ with you as to whether Or not it is ruined....... So thats how you get past it? It wasn't ruined intentionally? And yes in the opinion of many knowledgeable people it is ruined ... and will never fully recover

11. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

I grew up fishing Huron during the days when every little creek was spilling over with fish. I watched the rivers run dry of fish and baitshops/charters/stores close. Those buisness owners benefited from an invasive species that was meant to control another invasive species. What was happening back then was not sustainable and the lake is in pretty decent shape now all things considered. It was mismanaged but it's not like there was any blueprint to go off of and clearly they are learning from mistakes. There is really no ecological situation that is comparable to what the dnr are trying to manage.

12. wilsonm

wilsonm

The company is also responsible for security at the weirs, removal of all of the non-edible kings and coho's at the weirs, helping at the egg-takes, They also have to pay for forklifts, trucks, processing and disposal facilities and workers there. All this in a 2 month period where each year there is no predictability in the salmon runs. Most business people would find this a risky venture. If you put out bids for the contract and said you couldn't have any good quality coho, only the fish fit for pet food or landfill from the weirs, do you think any sensible business person would commit to that contract? Put your business plan together and put a bid in when the contract is up. I'm sure some kids from a high school field trip to do this. While it might sound like a fleecing when you don't know the facts behind it or think it through from a business perspective. When you dig into the economics of it, you'll realize it isn't a high profit business.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    TrapperJohn, Smada962 and FishMichv2 like this.
  13. Jay Wesley

Jay Wesley

Has it been mentioned that this company picks up fish guts at several communities along the coast that don't have fish grinders?

itchn2fish likes this.
  14. Huntingguy23

Huntingguy23

Sounds like you may be a quarter century my junior ..... you have alot yet to live and learn but acknowledging the DNR mismanaged Lake Huron is a start… And shows you are capable of learning ...... i have neither the time nor inclination to debate you on this any longer .... i both literally and figuratively have bigger fish to fry ... i will leave you with this ... what if 40 years from now two fisherman are agreeing that DNR mismanaged the surplus fish on the Platte river ? ....see you on the river

15. Huntingguy23

Huntingguy23

Jay - why can't these fish be planted in a location where they are welcomed and appreciated and provide unlimited recreational opportunities and fulfill their destiny as originally intended when they were brought here from the pacific northwest? They were not brought here to leave in a plastic tote. It appears the DNR has taken an asset and treated it as a liability

MIfishslayer91 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.