close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

DNR harvesting fish

Discussion in 'North West Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by Whitetail_hunter, Sep 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

The removal of those fish did nothing to affect the fishing on that river. I live on it and can guarantee it. Do you realize how much goes into managing this stuff even down to the genetics of the fish? Do you fish the Platte? Where could you have fished that those 5000 would have been accessible? They would all be at the hatchery in unfishable water a day after they were let through the lower weir. I guess they could have held all 12 to 15000 at the lower weir so anglers could pile up in that short stretch of river until the fish died of oxygen depletion.

TK81 and Vicious Fishous like this.
  2. toto

toto

I don't think there is one easy answer it could be combo of all these things. I, for one, would love to see it the way it was 20 years ago. Back then the river was closed to fishing from labor day until November 1st, but I'm sure I'm in the minority there.

3. fishfray

fishfray

This is not an attack on your stance, your stance is right. But I personally DO enjoy fishing for these cohos in the upper river, right after they pass them through the lower wier. However I think the way the dnr does this at random makes it hard for the majority of people to target them. If you aren't on the upper river within 48 hours of the release, youre pretty much out of luck. Maybe if they passed fish on a more regular schedule, they would be more accessible.

4. Slimits

Slimits

I thought they used to hang out in loon lake and were catchable. Is that not the case anymore?

5. Huntingguy23

Huntingguy23

your math is off.... it was said that 5k were harvested and 3k was passed but why let the facts get in your way ...
    In your exaggerated hypothetical scenario , yes i would rather those 5,000 fresh coho be left for tha anglers that paid for them be allowed the recreational opportunity to catch them instead of an outside company taking them away in totes to make a proffit . Even if all those fish did die at least the nutrients they have been removing from Lk Michigan for years would be released back from which they came instead of being gone forever

6. swampbuck

swampbuck

You missed the part where WE are paying them to take them!

7. Huntingguy23

Huntingguy23

Yes we are paying them ..... i will call ed and try to get the question answered as to the hourly rate they are billing the dnr ... any guesses ? Remember it is for manpower to remove surplus fish ... wouldn't think it would require a college degree .... something unpaid interns could do or something that could be done as a high school field trip

8. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

Your math is off because you are forgetting the thousands that are still behind the lower weir. Also 5000 have been passed. Also, we don't need the nutrients and we sure as he'll don't need thousands of dead salmon at the mouth of the Platte which is one of the most beautiful places in the state. I'll ask again, do you fish the Platte?

-Axiom- and near0921 like this.
  9. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

There are a lot of moving parts that prevent a harvest being done on a regular schedule. Do you think they expected nearly 15000 c oho to run the Platte in early September? I also love fishing the upper Platte and I live on it. But the fact of the matter is that it doesn't present good fishing opportunities to the vast majority of anglers. Had they let those 5000 through then you might have had two days of fishing if you drove around and timed it well with limited access points and tight fishing conditions.

near0921 likes this.
  10. swampbuck

swampbuck

It just seems to me that something could be done, whether it be liberalised regulations, getting the word out etc. To get those fish in the hands of people who would like to catch them, or even those who don't fish but could use the meat......Rather than spending money to have them hauled away.

Huntingguy23 likes this.
  11. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

Something can be done. You can fish the thousands of fish still in the Platte or one of the many great rivers that receive coho in the great lakes thanks to the complex operation that occurs on the Platte.

12. Huntingguy23

Huntingguy23

You ask if i fish the Platte ? i have never mentioned the name of any mich river in any of my posts .... i have acknowledged that i am looking at this situation from afar ... sometimes that is a fresh and needed perspective . It is irrelevant where i fish .... the question you should ask is does the person making the decisions for the Platte fish the Platte ...

13. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

Having fished the Platte would help you have an informed opinion on the things you are talking about. Knowing the fishing conditions, available areas to fish, behavior of the fish, understanding that part of it runs through a national park, ect, all help you understand the situation. Having an opinion from afar leads to an uninformed opinion. Reminds me of downstate non hunters having an opinion on wolves in the UP.

14. Huntingguy23

Huntingguy23

Basic mgt practices transfer to many applications..... the DNR mgt has painted themselves into a corner and taken what every other state would consider an asset and treated it as a liability. And as far as the mouth of the Platte being "One of the most beautiful places on earth " .... you need to get out more ... my list of my top 10 would probably bore you since it is vacant of sloppy drunk tubers and kayakers ... no parking signs and water less than ankle deep

15. FishMichv2

FishMichv2

I said in Michigan. Platte point is awesome and the scene you describe doesn't exist during the entire year. Forgive me if an over abundance of rotting fish at that place is not worth keeping so many fish piled up below the lower weir that there is too many for us to even fathom catching. Also not worth keeping so many there that it negatively affects other species in the river. Also keep in mind that those drunk tubers and kayakers bring a ton of money to the state and the area. Money that might not be spent if the area smelled like death. You aren't considering any of the balance that must be maintained. It's not all about you and also if anyone needs those 5000 salmon in the Platte in order to catch salmon this year then you aren't salmon fishing correctly. Platte Point is stunning if you ask me. I swam in remote waterfalls in the rainforest, layed on tropical beaches, and walked through redwood forests. Platte point may not be the same but it is a special place that offers some great scenery, star gazing, northern lights, and fishing.

TK81 and toto like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.