DNR disease lab

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by FSUhunter, Dec 10, 2018.

1. HUBBHUNTER

HUBBHUNTER

They just don't want to test anymore from Montcalm?

2. FSUhunter

FSUhunter

I talked with her for a while. She is very helpful. Still nothing. She thinks it could be in the freezer with ones that did not have a proper location on the tag. Hopefully soon!!!

Liver and Onions likes this.

3. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Not that I have heard. From our conversations, they seem to want to do as many as possible from the Core/Management areas.

L & O

4. MSUFW07

MSUFW07

The lymph nodes in the neck are the first place that it can be found, so the earliest place that it can be detected, there for more likely to be positive there then a different set of lymph nodes. They are effected earlier in the disease progression than other areas.

There are lymph nodes through out the body but for obvious reason the ones out of the head and neck are the easiest to come by. Also you want to be consistent for the sake of testing. You don't want one person to pull lymph nodes out of the head/neck area ad the next out of the chest cavity or further back.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...ation/cervid/cervids-cwd/cervid-cws-specifics

5. Skinner 2

Skinner 2

Dropped a doe head off in a box on December 16, Test results already back. Fast turn on it.

6. Lily Furina

Lily Furina Banned

I have an off the wall suggestion and question about the absence of White Cedar for deer. I have been wondering if the lack of cedar browse might be playing into disease in deer.

Before I explain why I suspect their "might" be some connection let me explain that I am partially Anashinabe heritage on both sides of my family. There is a long tradition of using Cedar in various ways as an anti-bacterial and as an anti-viral. Humans don't eat cedar browse but we do make teas and poultice and sweat lodge smoke.

However deer flock to cedar and browse it so heavily it is virtually impossible to grow. Once cedar is gone it generally is not coming back naturally. Over many years loggers have prized cedar and every year more of it is removed.

Cedar browse by deer has always been a major deer yard feature. Yet cedar browse does not provide great food for deer yet deer will eat it even when better food is right near, I have begun to wonder if deer browse cedar for the medicinal value? I am just saying "What if"? And maybe this is crazy. Yet animals seem to naturally know what they need to heal themselves. The Anishinabe have always used cedar. My Great-great grandmother healed my grandfathers leg when it was badly infected. She healed it with a cedar poultice. She did this long before humans had modern antibiotics. His leg was badly infected and the white doctors wanted to remove it. She kicked the white man doctors out of the home and wouldn't allow them in to see my grandfather.

It might be a long shot but it might be worth some investigation. Again just an idea?