DNR CLEAR CUTTING anyone had enough of this?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debat' started by dhunt4work, Dec 27, 2017.

1. rwenglish1

rwenglish1

Disease is killing hundreds if not thousands of Red Oaks and once the die they are worthless for lumber and dangerous left standing. White Pines are also being attacked and dying, so cutting them down before they will be worthless makes more sense.

Clear cutting provides much for the wildlife, in a few years deer, partridge, turkeys, bobcats will all agree with me. Yes you wont be able to see them from the road, but they will be in there.

Even healthy trees come to a point where they are ready to be cut down and used for lumber.

2. NorthernMich

NorthernMich

Our Oak masts are left or a tree with nails...the issues here are the mess the loggers leave and the DNR checks...no idea what looks like crap to them but the roads are left impassable, trees are left in piles and little regard for anyone but them and making quick money :(

2Lungs likes this.

3. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

I prefer the road left impassable. I hate when the quads and side by sides are able to tear down them after a logging operation. It akes a few year to be able to walk some of the clear cuts but eventually you can......and the roads created fill in nicely with fresh growth.

4. kdogger

kdogger

leaving tree tops is good habitat management. Piles are even better. Yeah, sucks to walk through for a couple years, but eventually it becomes fantastic thicket habitat.

5. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

But in my area we have the "beautiful" Kirtland warbler and everything gets punched full of jackpines. They wont even leave a large oak for some food for the squirrel. Or no tree for an owl to perch in. I guess the owl would go elsewhere as there is nothing in the cuts for them either.. Reason according to the forester that I heard speak "those trees are going to die anyway??" No bull.. but in whose lifetime, he didnt know.

Sparky23, Scout 2 and Nostromo like this.
  6. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

Hard to see the value of jack pines aside from paper I guess. Just was in the UP scouting for bait stations. Saw whole sections given over to the jack pines. I wonder as these areas are pretty dry if they would be grass lands in the absence of jack pines?

7. swampbuck

swampbuck

8. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

Same thing in my area, I don't get it. I have never seen a deer eating pine needles. Had some absolutely awesome public hunting areas that were clear cut and replanted with jack pines....WTH? Now very few deer.

Sparky23 likes this.
  9. NorthernMich

NorthernMich

yeah it probably does keep some "Flatlanders" out eh....we had a buck mounting does in the cut last year :)

10. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

The three most desirable characteristics of Jack Pine:
    - it is the commercial species best suited to the driest/sandiest sites. Other things may grow there over time, but none will grow as well as Jack Pine.
    - It has longer fibers than most other tree species making it a desirable softwood furnish for the pulp mills. It is particularly sought after by the tissue mills down in Wisconsin.
    - Kirtland Warbler habitat. Its on the Endangered Species list. The State and the Feds take that seriously.

-na

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  11. Sparky23

Sparky23 Banned

Not related to anything about this topic but he'll yea on your avatar. Best character in Any movie ever!

12. Sasquatch Lives

Sasquatch Lives

They apparently take the kirkland warbler more seriously than the deer..........

TriggerDiscipline likes this.
  13. Nick Adams

Nick Adams

gus.jpg

-na

Craves and Sparky23 like this.
  14. TriggerDiscipline

TriggerDiscipline

They cut 4 years ago to the north of my property, but left all the big white oaks for some reason. Hunting is getting good now.

15. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Kirtland warbler was submitted for delisting last march. They are suggesting near threatened status not endangered.

The goal was 1000 nesting pairs and in 2018 they counted 2380. Almost 2.5 times the goal.

They can stop planting the stupid jack pines now.

They are planting jackpines where oak and aspen forests get cut instead of letting oaks and aspens grow back naturally.

ArrowFlinger and Tilden Hunter like this.