DNR Asks Landowners For Help Reducing Disease

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Luv2hunteup, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Lumberman

Lumberman Premium Member

It
    It worked!

jr28schalm likes this.
  2. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

It is not like the responses as seen here weren't expected from day one.

"9. Density reductions should target entire family groups (does and their fawns) to minimize the probability of disease persistence, and yearling bucks to minimize the probability of disease spread via dispersal. Hunter harvest decisions depend most heavily on personal attitudes and are relatively unaffected by agency educational efforts. For these reasons, agency culling is likely to be more effective for controlling CWD than hunter harvest".

Again, I am not advocating the obliteration of deer in any area of Michigan - just some general density reduction.
    <----<<<

Nostromo, mbrewer and motdean like this.

3. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Looking at the DNR reports I see that 15 CWD deer have been culled or target by Wildlife Services since that 1st wild deer with CWD was found in the Lansing area in 2011.
    15 in 8 1/2 years. Hmmmm. Total deer killed is about 3,500 so not that many, but at a cost of roughly $125 per deer that puts the cost well over $400,000.
    During that same period, hunters/farmers have taken 165 CWD positive deer. Hunters buy licenses, the permits to farmers/land owners were free.
    No doubt some deer within city limits needed to be culled, but my point is that, whenever possible hunters will our best weapon against CWD deer.

L & O

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Nostromo and Waif like this.
  4. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

There is no doubt that hunters take out way many more deer than sharpshooters. That's not the point.
    What the best science was alluding to even way back when was that hunters would likely resist population density lowering efforts. I think this is true on private property pretty much anywhere in Michigan.... as witnessed by the majority of comments in this thread even.
    <----<<<

motdean and mbrewer like this.
  5. brdhntr

brdhntr

So in an area where the combo tag was not good for an antler less deer during firearm and I had to buy extra tags to manage them on our property, suddenly there are free tags after season. Additionally, despite the fact that I had to force them to test my checked deer because they were over their quota, suddenly I have to make an appointment and drive out of my way to turn in a head so they can test it. Of course, it's the hunters' fault this plan is not working.

eye-sore, Hunters Edge, Dish7 and 3 others like this.
  6. Piranha man

Piranha man

Reducing the deer herd in time will reduce the deer hunters.
    Is anybody hearing of herds of deer found dead because of CWD even in areas it's been for more than 30 years? No, but there is 10's of thousands killed because of government.
    what if in a hundred years there still has never been a case of CWD transferring to humans or livestock? Or never a case were deer no longer exist because of deaths from cwd. Will people look back on this time now and think all we did was right? Because of our actions now there will be very few if any hunters and so many whitetails that the only way to control them is with sharpshooters.

Hunters Edge and jr28schalm like this.
  7. Spike Country

Spike Country

So how do you do an APR study when after deer season you give out free unrestricted tags?

8. Spike Country

Spike Country

Not against it just wondering. I’ve had my tags for a week already.:evilsmile

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    jr28schalm and Luv2hunteup like this.
  9. 131north

131north

Learned when talking to the DNR rep that any permits issued now expire with the current licenses in March, at which point the 2020 season permits will be issued and be good thru the following year. They don't even know the exact date they will be good thru - maybe the first week of September she said. I don't think killing all the deer will slow the spread of CWD, but the email made me at least want to call and ask questions.

10. mbrewer

mbrewer

If we're truly concerned about what hunters a hundred years from now think of our response to CWD I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they knew we erred on the side of caution not emotion.

11. mbrewer

mbrewer

The obvious answer is you count them as part of the harvest. How you attribute the results is the real question.

12. mbrewer

mbrewer

Killing all the deer won't slow the spread of CWD? That statement clearly shows the power of a popular exaggeration.

Killing all the deer means nothing if it doesn't mean what it says.

HUBBHUNTER2 likes this.
  13. Quarter Section

Quarter Section

I got my 5 tags and we have killed 2 does, one with twins, one with triplets. Too many deer on my land and not enough hunters willing to kill does and keep the population down. There are about 500+ acres around me, with 4-6 of us hunting and actually killing deer, and tons of food and habitat. A few miles away, it might be a different story with dozens of guys all hunting their 5-20 acre pieces of land and not seeing much, and I sympathize for those that work hard to make their property popular with deer and hunt hard, but have lots of competition, I've been on private land that you could see 6 tree stands at one time, all different properties.

I'll fill these 5 tags and ask for more after 1 March. I've got plenty of folks that want venison, but they don't hunt, or can't take time away from work/family, and can they do their own processing, so no possible issues with butchering costs waiting for CWD results to come in. Main thing is we are very careful to avoid shooting yearling bucks.

The threat to deer hunting is from increasing cultural shifts, not lack of deer or hunting opportunities.

CWD is here, it will continue to spread to every township and section, and we will have to deal with it.

Luv2hunteup and QDMAMAN like this.
  14. fairfax1

fairfax1 Premium Member

If there is a "lack-of-deer".....does society need sport hunters?
    Should we maintain high deer populations and their often deleterious effect on native plants, food crops, and traffic safety so that about a half of 1% of Michigan's population will have a hobby?
    .......................................................................................

Poster, does your suggestion conflict with the post above by 'Lumberman'?
    He says lack-of-deer means no hunters.... whereas....... you imply that lack-of-hunters cannot be addressed 'with-so-many-deer-that-the only-way......"

...............................................................................................

Yupper, I'll row in that racing shell.
    That poster gets it.

15. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

If there is a "lack-of-deer".....does society need sport hunters?
    Should we maintain high deer populations and their often deleterious effect on native plants, food crops, and traffic safety so that about a half of 1% of Michigan's population will have a hobby?

Lack of deer would be a temporary situation .In 10 -15 years there would be many millions of them if not many hunt them .Sharpshooters would have a steady job all over the state .Worst scenario for deer is no one hunting them .Striving to keep the numbers of hunters we have now should be the goal of the DNR .

Hunters Edge likes this.