DNR Asks Landowners For Help Reducing Disease

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Disease' started by Luv2hunteup, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Landowners can help reduce risk of CWD spread with disease control permits
    Agency: Natural Resources

Jan. 30, 2020

[​IMG]Landowners in specific townships in the Lower Peninsula chronic wasting disease management zone can apply for disease control permits to help manage deer populations on their properties. Chronic wasting disease is a fatal neurological disease affecting deer, elk and moose.

Disease control permits are valid for use outside the deer hunting seasons and are free of charge. They are available in select townships in Clinton, Eaton, Gratiot, Hillsdale, Ionia, Ingham, Isabella, Jackson, Kent and Montcalm counties. See map of townships eligible for disease control permits.

Landowners interested in applying for the permits may contact Sarah Carlson at 269-685-6853.

As part of the disease control permit process, any deer taken must be submitted for CWD testing. After deer head(s) are properly tagged, labeled deer heads should be delivered to a local self-serve drop box or field office:

• Clinton/Gratiot/Ingham/Isabella County area:
      • Ithaca Department of Public Works (210 S. Elm St., Ithaca)
      • Rose Lake Field Office (8903 East Stoll Road, East Lansing). An appointment must be made, by calling 517-641-4092, to make sure someone will be there to receive the deer head.
    • Eaton County:
      • Contact the Barry State Game Area Field Office at 269-795-3280 to arrange.
    • Ionia/Kent/Montcalm County area:
      • Drop box freezer at Flat River State Game Area Field Office (6650 Long Lake Road, Belding)
    • Jackson County:
      • Waterloo Field Office (13578 Seymour Road, Grass Lake). An appointment must be made, by calling 313-396-6890, to make sure someone will be there to receive the deer head.
    Each year, CWD surveillance goals are created to help biologists understand the scale of the disease in the local deer herd. Deer heads are still needed for testing, especially from Gratiot, Isabella and Jackson counties, to meet the CWD surveillance goals set in 2019.

For more information about CWD in Michigan, visit Michigan.gov/CWD.

MichiFishy likes this.
  2. sniper

sniper

This I believe will go over like a fart in church. There will be very low involvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

3. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Agree but all it takes is one neighbor near you in a low density area to ruin your hunting for years on end .

Lumberman, sniper, Marty H and 4 others like this.
  4. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I'm not seeing where this is any different than the last 2 years, but maybe it is. A couple of things stop hunters/landowners from killing many deer with these permits:
    1. No near-by drop off locations for the heads. Not many are going to drive 20+ miles.
    2. Make an appointment at 2 drop off locations. lol
    3. Permits are only good during any of our regular hunting seasons. So they are not good from Oct. 1st thru Jan 1.

L & O

5. Radar420

Radar420

Disease control permits are valid for use outside the deer hunting seasons and are free of charge

multibeard, Nostromo and Chessieman like this.
  6. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

One way to lose more hunters, no deer, no hunters.

7. Newaygo1

Newaygo1

This is a Double Edge Sword, I get they want more Deer Take to SLOW The Spread but then they don't want To Lose More Hunters and When Some aren't Seeing a Good Buck Behind every Tree. Will they Move to another part of the State that does not have this Disease and then what with fewer hunters fewer Deer Taken? And if it is out of season will there not be possible More Ticks associated on the Deer? And then what about having a Deer Processed why shoot a deer if You are going to use the Meat? Again Who Comes Up with these Ideas? They Lack any good for Hunters and then as others have mentioned if you lack much as to Deer Numbers will this Not Hurt their Hunting for a Long Time? When there was NO DISEASE the DNR did just That in Newaygo County they Offered 10k OTC Privtae Antlerless Permits. and it Decimated the Deer Numbers though THEY Wanted them to be used in the Southern Part of said County most were bought and used in the Northern Part and some because you could have many like 5 and you could at also when they changed how many one could have you could but 1 a Day till they Ran Out and some did. Also when they first offer these Antlerless Permits it would take 8 weeks or more when they started selling them in August to sell out the last 2 years they sold all out in maybe 4 weeks? And How many were bought by Hunters that did not have Private Land Access. As I had seen deer piled up along the Federal Forest Roads and even had 3 at my gate one Spring? And we did not see much as to deer once these were Offered first the bucks then the does and if we did see anything maybe a Fawn or 2 during 20 days out hunting... ! neighbor was taking 5 does a years and that can reduce deer numbers over a time period. Then they Split the County Finally and Give out more in the southern part where they wanted them to be Used anyway! Guess that is DNR Deer Management No Clues Still Just get Deer Taken and when you don't get what They Want Come Up with Another Scheme To DO IT and not pay Snipers to Cull the Numbers ( Like City of Ann Arbor). Also if these Are Free where will the $ come from for testing at lease when You pay the Full Price for a License you have a little to go to testing but being Free was there not take that the CWD Testing is hurting the DNR's Budget Already??? Sad But that is what We get and Yet no Deer has Tested Positive Yet in Newaygo maybe why It was No Included In THIS Plan???
    Yet we are a part of the Core CWD Area...
    Newaygo1

motdean likes this.
  8. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Absolutely ...seeing that in my neighborhood big time .

eye-sore likes this.
  9. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Correct. I have gotten DCPs the past 2 years so I am familiar with the rules. I was only pointing out why not many will be filled.

L & O

10. Radar420

Radar420

Your 3rd point in the post above said only good during any of our current hunting seasons.

sniper and jr28schalm like this.
  11. Waif

Waif

[to help manage deer populations on their properties]

If you don't need them, you don't need them.

Being able to assign tags to another hunter besides the landowner is a (potentially) good method to increase kills where kills are desired to reduce numbers , per owner management plan.
    Not all landowners hunt.
    And not all tag holders hunt enough ,or desire multiple kills. And some are not enthused about killing doe.
    Being able to encourage participation by saying hey , I have free tags if you want to fill them is an incentive. Not a great one but still , combined with access to private land with enough deer they are needing reduced that can be an incentive for a hunter or hunters having a poor season elsewhere.

I acquired one or two of the allotted five the first year and filled one.
    We can debate how many deer should exist where I hunt/feebly manage , but area reductions seemed enough for me to not need or desire disease tags after the first year.
    No , I'm not trying to hoard a big herd.

Nostromo and mbrewer like this.
  12. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Ahhh. My mistake. I did not write that 1st sentence correctly. Too late to edit now. The 2nd sentence in #3 was correct.

L & O

Radar420 likes this.
  13. Whitetail Freak

Whitetail Freak

Thankfully I am friends and know most my neighbors. Not to many doe killers in Harvard. I’m good friends with a couple of your neighbors also.

14. Piranha man

Piranha man

One would just think our DNR had more sense than this. It is almost as if the people that make these regulations are not Hunters. When you drastically reduce the numbers of deer (bucks and does)you will drastically reduce the number of hunters (nobody wants to hunt any place they not see deer). Overtime 10 years plus the deer herd will rebound and again increase the spread of CWD, a never-ending cycle. Anybody who thinks CWD will be cured before human diseases like diabetes, alzheimers, dementia etc. is wrong.
    If they want to lower deer numbers EAB.
    When will free unlimited permits be offered to trap shooters to disimate the bats in areas where white nose disease is known?

15. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Serious suggestion ?

L & O