DIY Antler Mount

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by DM90, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Fordguy

Fordguy

A pic with the leather wrapped base mounted on a small piece of stained 1x6.
    Unfortunately its on the wall at this point so the pic is from more of an upward angle than its normally viewed from.
    20200725_134724.jpg 20200725_134724.jpg

retired dundo and DM90 like this.
  2. Fordguy

Fordguy

I've also heard of people using suede-chamois material (the stuff you use to wipe down your car after a wash) for covering antler bases. Its stretchy, and it takes stain well so you can color to almost any hue you like.

DM90 likes this.

3. Matt V

Matt V

I have been mounting my own antlers for years. I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood into a teardrop shape (I have several size templates that I made). The I screw the antlers to the plywood through the skull plate. I then cover the antlers with plastic wrap, then use expanding insulation foam. Once the foam dries I use a rasp to shape it, then spread a thin layer of plaster. After the plaster dries, I sand smooth and then wrap in leather that I had made from my deer hides. Mount on a plaque and it's done. I have done a lot of these for friends and family over the years...

DM90 likes this.
  4. mbrewer

mbrewer

Damn, the cotton batting is a really good idea!

DM90 likes this.
  5. 131north

131north

A lot easier than plaster! Just depends on how picky you are – for me it was simple and for a few bucks you have enough materials to make a lot of mounts.

DM90 likes this.
  6. retired dundo

retired dundo

Real nice