Discovering - Grayling Initiative, Planting walleyes in Little Bay De Noc

Discussion in 'Upper Peninsula Michigan Streams and Rivers' started by PunyTrout, Oct 5, 2020.

1. PunyTrout

PunyTrout Staff Member Mods

This week on Discovering young grayling arrive at the Marquette Fish Hatchery and Bay De Noc Great Lakes Sport Fishermen plant 5000 walleyes in Litte Bay De Noc.

2. hhlhoward

hhlhoward Premium Member

Thanks punytrout that was really cool!

PunyTrout likes this.

3. Teggs

Teggs

Good bye King salmon and splake. Say hello to Greyling!!! What a unbelievable joke and waste of time. At least we can all here say we lived during the time of 8lb orange splake and 20 lb kings. Super sad to see what the future of our fisheries will be. I am dreading 5 years from now, no more king salmon or splake trips in the fall. instead we can go catch some 15 inch little chars that fight like wet socks and taste like garbage.

OH-YEAH!!! likes this.
  4. 22 Chuck

22 Chuck

I liked smelt till your salmon ate em all..

mbirdsley and sureshot006 like this.
  5. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

You can have the salmon and I will take the Grayling. I think the grayling taste much better. They don't put up a fight but that's ok.

mbirdsley likes this.
  6. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Please explain your reasoning about how grayling will have any relationship to king stocks.

As for splake, aren't they on their way out anyway? The DNR did a study of the cost effectiveness of the splake program and it was awful. Expensive to raise and low returns. The cost per fish caught, iirc, was anywhere from the $80-$250 or something like that. Just a huge expenditure so a few fishermen could try for them. Not a justifiable use of money. I'll see if I can find the write up but it was a few years ago.

7. Teggs

Teggs

They are no longer raising salmon or splake in the U.P. fish hatcherys. instead they are doing greyling where those fish we’re raised. thats how they are related. ditch one, get another.

We stopped stocking kings in 2016, and will be done with splake now as of 2020. If you or the DNR think splake are on their way out then you got alot of exploring to do. We catch 100s during the fall and winter months and 100s of anglers are also out fishing and having the same luck. They are one of my absolute favorite fish and will be super bummed in 5-6 years when they are gone. I also have no desire to catch greyling and think that it will take multiple years to create a natural population.

8. Purebrook

Purebrook

It was my assumption upon reading materials on the new grayling initiative that only very select streams would be targeted for their release. Am I correct on this? I am also not clear on how the DNR will distribute the grayling between UP and lower P locations. As for splake, if I read Teggs comments correctly, the issue is that the breeding sites now used for grayling used to be dedicated to splake, thereby reducing splake plantings. OK, But then how come so many splake are still being caught? They cannot naturally reproduce correct? It would be cool, however to see grayling in Michigan again.

9. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Took me quite a while to find reference to the study. I can't find the meeting minutes with the details, everything before 2018 is missing since they updated the website. I think it was Troy Zorn that did the presentation but it was five years ago which explains why my memory of the cost per fish caught was so far off. Also, for the study to have been presented in 2015 it had to be started well before the Grayling Initiative was a thing (formed in 2016). But splake come from the Marquette hatchery and that has nothing to do with Grayling in any case. And if kings were dropped in '16 before they even had a plan for Grayling it seems more like it was related to the alewife collapse.

If you catch a splake in Marquette be thankful for it, the DNR spends $1400 for every one caught there. Even in Copper Harbor they cost over $100 each and in the hundreds everywhere else. Not a very cost effective angling opportunity.

10. Teggs

Teggs

There are no Splake at the hatchery in Marquette anymore, only greyling. and lake Superior has never had any alewives in it, ever...... One splake does not cost 1400$ my friend. These are All nonsense statements.

Gordon Casey likes this.
  11. Curt

Curt

I'm not sure what the status of alewives in Lake Superior is today but they, most definitely, have been there in the past though their numbers were low. They first showed up in 1954 (see attached). I have personally seen them (back in the late 1960's).

https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/aquatic/fish-and-other-vertebrates/alewife

12. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

Phil is in your neck of the woods you can ask him about it. If it costs $200,000 (they’re expensive b/c they stay in the hatchery a long time) to plant them and 1000 get caught that’s $200 per fish. Some ports were more productive than others resulting in Marquette being the worst at $1400 and Copper Harbor the best at $100.

13. Kisutch

Kisutch

Do you have an extensive cost analysis on the worthless Atlantic Salmon program. How about the cost of heating the water at the Platte hatchery just for "those" fish. Babied worthless fish that are another money pit. But we can't, won't talk about this farce. Grayling. What a joke! Yep I said it.

Kisutch

Former Lake Michigan Stakeholder

God Bless Dr Howard Tanner

Lake Michigan Lake Trout Gillnetters Association Join now

Alewife what?

14. kzoofisher

kzoofisher

I don’t. I’m sure the DNR does. They cut back on planting Atlantic’s before because of rate of return. And many trout streams in southern Michigan had stocking ended because it was a poor investment. And walleye in lakes where they don’t take. It’s far from an unprecedented action.

15. Gordon Casey

Gordon Casey

I understand the DNR is increasing the stocking of Atlantics. Didn't they set up a hatchery exclusively for atlantics. They are fun to catch, have variable diets, do not have a defined life cycle and can be caught in a variety of methods. I'm all for atlantics.