close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Disc tall grass?

Discussion in 'Wildlife Habitat' started by mallard112386, Aug 5, 2017.

1. mallard112386

mallard112386

FOOD PLOT? I want to plant some food plots in areas with taller grass. I know I should round up first but unable to due it due to time restraints. Is there a special disc I could use to chop up the grass and break the ground? I'm new to doing this and plan on buying a 4 wheeler asap just need to find the right one and then I'll start buying some implements.

2. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Without mowing it and spraying it first it will be a ton of work. Worst case you could just mow it and rake the vegetation off. But it will still be hard to turn over.

3. mallard112386

mallard112386

I have no way of mowing.

4. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Spray with a hot mixture of glyphosate now, wait a couple of weeks then burn the plot.

Bucman likes this.
  5. wyandot

wyandot

Weed wacker maybe? Garage sale push mower?

Jimbo 09 likes this.
  6. Jimbo 09

Jimbo 09

Get one of the metal blades for a weed wacker and go to town

wicklundrh likes this.
  7. mallard112386

mallard112386

It's out if state and it doesn't look like I'll be able to make two trips down.

8. Waif

Waif Premium Member

It would involve time for the grass residue to break down.
    Soil tilth and friability will be affected by dying tall grasses diced into the soil even if you owned or rented a heavy three point disc with enough down pressure to get through the grass and thatch and roots.

You don' t mention the loam depth , or soil type and quality of the site....If rich and healthy turning it late fall might be the way to go.
    Or if not wanting to break the skin in a no till planting ,mowing and clearing late fall to allow planting. Spray ( if acceptable) when new growth starts next spring.
    Worse case this year , rent a walk behind brush/ field mower and cut wide trails past potential sitting / hunting spots.
    Cutting trails in a fallow field worked for me last year. Deer browsed forbs without getting poked in the face. And had easy walking when desired. Older deer used trail edges with greater cover next to them vs only tall unmowed field grasses and stuff three feet tall or so.

9. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

The tall grass might be your best bet this year. With so little time and no equipment, hiring the job done while you are there to supervise & help might be the only other solution to get it done correctly.

L & O

Forest Meister likes this.
  10. wicklundrh

wicklundrh Premium Member

A simple mowing might surprise you. The area will green up and the taller grass provides screens around the plot. Remember, deer eat a ton of stuff that we consider as weeds. That lower grass with fresh tender shoots might just put them right in front of you!

Metal weed whip blade or old lawn mower would work. Very little money, equipment, and time to make an area appealing

11. grapestomper

grapestomper

Weed wack and fertilize. May be the easiest way to go this year.

12. Oger

Oger

Rent a brush cutter

13. BigW

BigW

I just used a bush hog to cut an overgrown acre of grass and weeds. Deer were previously seen in that area 1-2x/week. Since the cutting, deer and turkeys have been out there feeding every day. No fancy seed mix, just a small area the previous owner mowed once a year.