Direwolf in Clare County...where are you Jon Snow?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Swamphound, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Swamphound

Swamphound

I hate to even post this but I do have a legitimate question. We are first-year property owners in Clare county...long time hunters, and we have something that sounds like a 90's horror film werewolf going off on clear mornings, mostly to our west. No idea what it is... We hear owls, and Yotes all the time and even have a bear on the trail cam, but the sound this thing makes, will make your blood run cold. It had my 50-year-old cousin jogging to his tree the first time we heard it. :) We don't hear it on rainy days, or overly overcast days, but when the stars are out in the morning this thing will go off usually more than one. There are 4 of us hunting the property, and we all wondering wtf it is. Any ideas. 100% not a coyote...could it be an actual wolf that far south?

2. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

3. mwp

mwp

Uum your property is squatchy

hypox, d_rek, junkman and 6 others like this.
  4. Trunkslammer

Trunkslammer

Luther dogman has strayed from the swamp!

theangler, Biggbear, Nostromo and 3 others like this.
  5. Swamphound

Swamphound

I don't think so, just listened to both on youtube, this was much more like a wolf. Although we do have bobcats as well and if I hear some of the sounds on this video, I am selling my shares

Hoytman5 likes this.
  6. Swamphound

Swamphound

Hell yeah it is. Owls, goats, roosters, bears, bobcats, yotes...hard to sleep at night up there with all of the noise going on

7. everlast108

everlast108

During a stop when I used to drive a delivery truck, there was this little hound dog in the yard across the street. It was standing on top of a picnic table, and the howl coming from this little dog sounded like a damned werewolf. It didn't howl at first, so I was unloading the truck when it started and I actually jumped into the back of the truck because it was so loud and scared the crap out of me. I had video of it because it just sounded so insane. Maybe he moved from the city out to near your property!

Sent from my VS996 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

8. JimP

JimP Hunter gatherer Premium Member

Formerly Rochester Hills, Finally! Wellston
    I've heard a loud screeching sound 3 times over the years, twice coming from the Benzie swamp around the Herring lakes, the other time back in behind me from the swampy area a bit north of Pine lake, West of Bosschem.
    Finally resolved myself to search and search videos/sound effects on the web for a duplication.
    Some may say unlikely but believe me this was the closest match.

Play Numbers 4 & 6 : Link

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    LuckyBucks likes this.
  9. Gone Coastal

Gone Coastal

Could be a cougar, they scream like a banshee. I heard one one night that was absolutely scary.

10. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

My cousin took a video to capture the sound of a wolf howling he heard last Friday up by St Helen. There was a documented wolf somewhere around Roscommon a while back, so it is definitely possible. IDK about Clare though, I guess there isn't really any reason that it couldn't be. Maybe a Coywolf?

He texted me, I was hunting in Oscoda county at the time, and said I just heard a f'n wolf! I replied Lol and he said it ain't funny, that schitt made the hair on the back of my neck stand up! I still think it is kinda funny, but I didn't hear it other than on the video.

11. Wandering arrows

Wandering arrows

Agree completely, here's the link

Trunkslammer likes this.
  12. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

Can you point us to that documentation ? I could not find it.
    Thanks in advance.

L & O

13. motdean

motdean

I don't know about confirmed, but cited as credible....

https://greatlakesecho.org/2010/02/20/wolf-count-raises-questions-about-michigan-range-threats/

"Dennis Fijalkowski, Michigan Wildlife Conservancy executive director, said wolves have been in the Lower Peninsula for 20 years and there have been credible sightings in Roscommon County. A pilot sighted a wolf pack crossing the ice from St. Ignace 12 years ago, he said."
    Also Emmett:
    https://wkmi.com/gray-wolf-confirmed-in-northern-lower-peninsula/

14. Thirty pointer

Thirty pointer Premium Member

Owls can make screams that can be heard for a mile .Once had one scream about 50 ft away and about jumped out of my tree .

15. rdwings926

rdwings926

Have hunted Clare cty for 30 years, Winterfield Twp for the last 18. Hear some weird things, mostly cats but what species is the question. A few of the neighbors claim they saw a cougar more than once in late winter of 19 for what its worth.