"Different" rifle season for anyone else?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Biggbear, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Biggbear

Biggbear

First, I do not want to seem like I'm whining, I certainly don't want to sound like that at all. I'm grateful for every season I get in the woods, and this is not about quitting. This rifle season I saw plenty of deer, and chose not to shoot a buck after taking a nice 8 pt on the 13th with my bow. Just never laid eyes on one bigger than I just took.

But for some reason the weather, being alone in camp due to covid precautions, my knee killing me the whole time, all seemed to somehow stack up on me and make it far less fun than normal. So much so that I came home a few days early. I don't know if I just lost focus for a bit, or what, it's kind of weird actually. And I hunt private land, so I don't even have to deal with the state land madness that many others have to endure.

Had the Doc give me another cortisone injection so I can get back in the saddle over Thanksgiving (we get a 4 day weekend). I'm definitely looking forward to this virus mess being over so deer camp can be deer camp again. I am not giving up by a long stretch, just wondering if anyone else had a rifle season that somehow felt different?

don, shooter, Nostromo and 9 others like this.
  2. ryan-b

ryan-b

There hasn’t been a damn thing even close to normal about this entire year!

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

You are one 8pt ahead of me. I have you do have beat both my knees hurt. I kill a lot of nice bucks well after opening day so I’m not where near feeling bad about the season. Being alone at camp doesn’t bother me one bit. Good luck.

I am surprised that more hunters haven’t figured that there are still plenty of opportunities to fill a tag on a nice buck after the first week of firearms season.

lizajane, bansheejoel, don and 7 others like this.
  4. Bob S

Bob S

Or even after the first couple days. On Wednesday the 18th only 3 of 8 camps near my place still had hunters.

5. JS714

JS714 Premium Member

The biggest difference this year to me, was the lack of friends visiting our camp and us not visiting other camps. That's one of my favorite parts of rifle season.

6. Hoytman5

Hoytman5

Yeah, I shot a doe! With a gun......... lol

Swampdog467, don, anagranite and 5 others like this.
  7. NormD

NormD

No visitors to camp, and we didn't even take the buggy to visit others. Heck some of our friends camps were almost desolate. Mostly just the three of us each evening.

8. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Admin Mod

Weather was decent, and deer sightings were up. Those alone made it way different for me!
    <----<<<

9. fishdip

fishdip

My camp wasn't what it usually was, one of my nephews tested positive so his brother and my brother in-law couldn't come to camp.I hurt my back putting in new mailbox that my neighbor ran over so i was in a lot of pain.My other nephew and i went and he shot a nice buck opening morning and i passed on a big 4 on one side and a big unicorn on the other, we woke up the next morning, had breakfast and went home.But this Friday my BIL and other 2 nephews are going up to the cabin, having a walleye fishfry,steaks on the grill, having some cocktails and maybe get a buck or two.Really looking forward to deercamp,good luck brothers.

up520, Spartan88, Wild Thing and 4 others like this.
  10. fishdip

fishdip

My nephews buck

Attached Files:

11. Urriah

Urriah

I willingly skipped opening day for the first time in my life. That was a weird feeling. The combination of 60mph winds and rain plus having shot a couple with the bow put a damper on my gun season enthusiasm.
    That being said, I'm less excited for firearm each year. I just prefer bow hunting.

12. jiggin is livin

jiggin is livin Premium Member

It was better for us, minus the weather. We seen more deer, had more opportunity and had a longer time to hunt, usually we are just the first couple days and back to work.

I am two totally different hunters from bow to rifle season. I absolutely LOVE rifle season for the traditional aspects and the having a ball, poker, beer, food, camp, all of it. Bow season has very little of any of that and I focus much more on strategy, planning and the hunt itself. That is when I target specific deer and really get into it.

Rifle hunting, I just love the big woods hunting and not having any expectations. I love killing any deer, and being thankful for the opportunity.

So yes, Rifle season is different for me, every year.

13. Nostromo

Nostromo Premium Member

You have to look at the bright side. At least you have a cool limp.

Ieatshrooms and Biggbear like this.
  14. Spartan88

Spartan88

I left a hunting club after being there most of 2 decades, purchased my own property. You bet this year is different.

sniper, 3X8, jiggin is livin and 3 others like this.
  15. Biggbear

Biggbear

You ain't kiddin, make me look like I've got swagger!! Or makes me look drunk, but I'm going with swagger! Had the right knee replaced 4 years ago, getting this one done in March. By next season I'll be running the deer down like a wolf!!