Did you fish new places this year ?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by Anita Dwink, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

I fished a new smallmouth spot and found nirvana. I fished a new largemouth spot and it turned into a quick little honey hole. I fished another new spot for both bass and pike with some success. I fished a new spot of hard water and feel pretty good about perch. I fished 2 new skinny waters for brook trout without much luck but I'll be back. I've got another brook spot to try if I can leave the bass and chrome alone.

None of it counts, I'm a transplant here and just about everything is new. ;)

Anita Dwink likes this.
  2. Whales

Whales

I discovered alot of new places on rivers I always fish, some upstream, some down stream. I fish alot of Smallmouth, some years they're in different spots. Hot spots go cool, so I keep on trying either up or down steam...I eventually find them. An old bass lake turned out to be an excellent pike lake I found out this year after catching a dozen one evening, none under 32 inches long...that was a surprise. There are so many people out now it's hard to get away from them. In the lower part of the state, combined with the people who take the big fish for dinner, you have to search where no one fishes, it's getting harder and harder.

Bob Gallagher and Anita Dwink like this.

3. stickman1978

stickman1978

If you don't mind what are you using to catch the smallmouth. Been casting a jig and soft bait m y self. Wondering what else might be good. Thanks.

4. Whales

Whales

A whole nightcrawler on a hook with a split shot is always good. In summer any topwater lures, Rapala,Whopper Plopper, poppers, small crank baits, minnow/shad or Perch color, Mepps spinners. Smallmouth are pretty aggressive most of the time and not to picky in warm water I've found, I target them most of the summer.

5. stickman1978

stickman1978

Ok thanks. I did catch a 20 inch smallie on Fathers day one year with a floating rapala. Giving it the death twitch in an eddy about 35 years ago. Also used a purple worm. Years ago also. Been mostly a lake fisherman. Kind of refound the river thing this year.

Whales likes this.
  6. Whales

Whales

River fishing for Smallies is fun...and most of our rivers have them. Maybe not as big as the big lakes Smallies but tough fighters!

stickman1978 likes this.
  7. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

The vast majority of my smallies are caught on a 4 inch rubber worm and a small splitshot with 6 lb test on a lite spinning rig. I've also done well on small reapers (basically a soft rubber leech) and small crawfish soft rubber.

I change colors a LOT until I find the one they are keyed in on for the day. Ghost, browns and dark tan, purple with yellow tails usually work. Subtle color changes often make a huge difference. Historically I've never done that well on jigs. I fish my baits fairly slow and hang up a lot more dragging a jig on bottom v a small split shot.

Most of my largemouth this year have been on topwater frogs and skirted silver minnows, but that's mainly an attribute of the structure I'm fishing. Outside of the really thick stuff, I'm throwing soft plastics with a splitshot for them too.

It's been a few days since I've chased largemouth. My go to spots are producing less fish and the pike have moved into the area. Like the smallies, I suspect they are in a little bit deeper water, but the weather has been cooling down and the kayak or float tube might get a little water time soon. It's just hard to commit to bass when the silver fish are moving in but wind and swell dictates what I can chase.

Whales and stickman1978 like this.
  8. shoprat51

shoprat51

1 new body of water this summer went to mio dam total skunk marked lots of fish nothing of any size would cooperate making plans for a guy trip in September 0824201120.jpeg 0824201120b.jpeg

Sent from my LM-X210VPP using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Whales likes this.
  9. Allen Morgan

Allen Morgan

I've finally been able to do a lot of exploring this year. I've made trips to, and wet a line, in various places like Luna Pier, Selfridge, Port Huron, Flint, Dundee, Clare, Ludington, Holland, Portland, etc.

Hopefully the "Monday golf tourney" season ends soon, and I can get my Mondays off again. Might make a few more trips.

I've also been working on learning some of my local waters better. Had good luck with that as well.

10. TroutFishingBear

TroutFishingBear

I found a creek that was 20 min from my apartment I'd been in a few years (until I moved in june, and am in a trout desert again), started fishing it in March and got almost 20 brown trout in a couple months, including an almost 19"...had been years and years since I caught trout outside of stockerfest or the steelhead or two I get every year.

I also hadn't fished flint river since 2012 (sanz 20 minutes below stepping stones falls about 6 years ago), and have been back in my old haunts, crushing giant smallmouth bass :)

Whales and Anita Dwink like this.
  11. stickman1978

stickman1978

Added another lake in the UP last week. Ended up being a dud. To bad was a nice lake for a kayak. I am sure it produces fish just not for me.

Whales likes this.
  12. Wannabe Angler

Wannabe Angler

The bummer part of 2020 was the canceled trips to Florida/Cabo and the 3 charters I had planned...but made the most of our great state...

Man, a LOT of new lakes! I have really only gotten serious into fishing over the last ~2years or so. This year started fishing Bass Tourneys as well. Oakland County/SE Michigan - Pontiac, White, Cedar Island, Ponemah, Lake Orion, Lake Fenton, Lakeville, MaceDay, Deer Lake, and 3 un-named small bodies of water w a portage. Up north: Hubbard, Fletcher's Pond, Van Etten, Burt, my favorite Waugoshance Point out of Wilderness SP. West Side: Muskegon Lake, Lost Lake.

All that and I still don't own a mobile boat (Just a pontoon at my cottage)....helps to have a local buddy that we fished 1x per week and tried to hit new spots, as well as my tourney partner and his slick z21. Will only get better next year once I find the right boat and hopefully without 2020 boat prices...

13. piketroller

piketroller

How was fishing Wilderness State Park with the really high water this year? Were you wading?

14. Wannabe Angler

Wannabe Angler

Wagoshance Pt was awesome....I don't have a reference but definitely people said the water levels were much higher than normal. Basically waded right from parking lot as far out as i could with chest highs. Usually fished every morn of the 3 mornings at about 8am-11am. Right around 945am every day the Smallies would turn on. Caught probably 15-25 daily. Neds mostly. No real brown footballs though, but tons of fun. Local told me Memorial Day (Not 4th of july) was the time to hit it there.

Anita Dwink likes this.
  15. Allen Morgan

Allen Morgan

Managed to f8sh off the piers in Benton Harbor and South Haven last weekend. Didn't catch squat.