Did not Muzzle Loading season start on the first Saturday of December for zone 1 and 2?

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Chessieman, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Chessieman

Chessieman

I see it opens on Friday the forth statewide and some posts were saying Saturday was the opener. I am in zone 3 and in the old days we had a different and longer ML season for our zone. In the old days in zone 3 we even had a Muzzle Loader season, not now!

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

First Friday to second Sunday since since the mid 70s. I don’t ever recall a Saturday opener.

3. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

Use to be 2 nd Friday of Dec in zone 2 which was a nice 2 week break from gun season.

Sam22, jiggin is livin and R.J.M. like this.
  4. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

Same for zone 3 for many years. Then about 10 years ago it was expanded to 17 days beginning on the first Friday and now this year it’s back to 10 days again.

5. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Yes - It has always been the first Friday in December that I can recall - in the UP at least. I would prefer it open the second Friday as some years the first Friday will be the day after the end of the regular firearms season. It would be nice to have at least a 1 week break IMO, although I realize that some bucks could be shedding their antlers by the end of the season in that case. Not many though. The earliest I have ever found a fresh shed antler was on Christmas Eve.

6. brushbuster

brushbuster Premium Member

I think you're right, both zones were always a week later than zone 1 I miss the 2 week break.

Sam22 likes this.
  7. Slimits

Slimits

Basically the deer get 3 days off from getting shot at by guns from now until new years

jiggin is livin likes this.
  8. BK105

BK105

At least this year we can use the 450BM in zone 2 instead of the smoke pole !

bowhunter426 likes this.
  9. Biggbear

Biggbear

not sure everyone shares your enthusiasm on that one

10. jacksonmideerhunter

jacksonmideerhunter

Where did you see this? The way I read it was that southern michigan, which would be zone 3, was the only zone that could do this.

11. Slimits

Slimits

You can try to do that. But im not recommending it. (Not legal). But another example of how people are getting confused by all the screwy rules

jiggin is livin likes this.
  12. jatc

jatc

Ummmm.... no you cannot.

13. Chessieman

Chessieman

You don't want those deer to get fat a lazy do you? Keep them running for their life!

These rules are pretty simple now aren't they? That was the justification for the DNR change that they whispered ( illegal) into the three voting members ears of the NRC that screwed us. Just wait till next year, you guys in zone 1 and 2 will suffer the same as in zone 3 this year! Then we can talk about "THE GOOD OLD DAYS"

14. Slimits

Slimits

15. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

Just in a handful of zone 2 counties