Diamond Naturals Exteme Athelete?

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by mattm, Sep 6, 2020.

1. ab5228

ab5228

Oh ok. Yea I’ve been satisfied with ppp sport.

2. Dogbox Bill

Dogbox Bill

Has any one fed Sport Mix premium 24/20 made by Midwestern Pet Foods of Evansville Indiana?

3. Bobby

Bobby

My experience and the experience of others I have discussed, Annamaet Impact and Glycocharge works. When I was running only 2 dogs, 3 hourse each every day for a week, I saw a marked difference in their recovery from day to day, first using only Glycocharge and in following years adding Impact to their evening meals. This is simply observational data on my part, no objective measurements, just my (and others) subjective view on the use of these products. I now have 5 dogs, I can spread the load between them and I have not used either product recently. EXCEPT the spring or 2019 when I was getting one dog ready for the Grand National Invitational, a trial where, if we did well, he would run full out 3 days in a row. I used Glycocharge during the weeks leading uo to the event and each day that he ran during the event. There is no question in my mind that it improved his training performance, his stamina. He was ready to run that 3rd, he was in reserve but didn't get a chance. That's field trialing. He put down 2 runs the first 2 days and the second day was very strong. I did rest him for 2 full days prior to the event.

Quig7557 likes this.
  4. ab5228

ab5228

Nice, glad to hear you saw results with it. I used Glycocharge last year on a multi day trip. My only issue was my dog wouldn’t drink much. I don’t think that’ll be an issue with my young dog.

Impact came in today. I added a scoop for both dogs food tonight to see how they’d like it. They mowed it.

Generally speaking I think feeding a good feed is all that’s necessary but obviously in the scenario you are talking about a quick recovery is needed. The glycogen replacement idea seems to bare out in studies as far as the glycocharge is concerned.

5. Chasin Tales

Chasin Tales

Had an interesting experience related to this about 10 years ago. Met up with a buddy to grouse hunt in the afternoon. He had taken his dog (lab) duck hunting in the morning, and when we started to hunt you could tell the dog was gassed. He followed us for about 10 minutes and my friend said he was going to load him up. The dog was almost stumbling and you could tell he was off. I had a rice crispy treat in my vest and wanted to give him a quick fix to see if it was a sugar thing. Sure enough, within about 3-4 minutes he was a different dog. We made sure he was hydrated and he was running around. We then hunted for about 30 minutes. It sure seemed to help him and he was fine for the rest of the day.

Couple of things- first we didn't push him and that was the end of his day.

Second, I started carrying a small bottle of Caro syrup along with my dog's first aid kit when we went hunting. I had done some reading on hypoglycemia and the symptoms in dogs,horses etc and figured it was good to be prepared.

6. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

With the glycocharge. Do you just mix it in the dogs water? Or do you mix it water and then combine with food? I’m thinking about giving it a shot on my multi day trips this year.

7. ab5228

ab5228

Mix with just water. You are supposed to give it shortly after exercise then wait a couple hours to feed the dog. You are giving the dog an easily digestible sugar. The idea is to replace the glycogen in the muscles. Dogs don’t need sugar or carbs for this but it takes longer for them to replenish on protein and fat. The theory is that it’s replaced quicker this way. Studies have shown it to be effective.

8. Bobby

Bobby

Mix it just before using. It will sour if mixed too far in advance of using. Get a shaker bottle to mix it thoroughly, it never dissolved easily. If your dog won't drink try sprinkling a thin layer of the dry canned parmesan cheese on top of the mix AFTER putting in the bowl. I do this to entice my mutts to drink water. I've never seen the cheese it not work with water, I've never needed to use it for Glycocharge. In my experience Glycocharge is doggie crack, none of my dogs have turned from it, they dive in.

9. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

Great thanks for the tips! Just placed the order for it so should see it by end of the week.

10. birdhntr

birdhntr

I should be doing this with my dogs.Three day hunting trips every week and I see them taper a bit.They are always ready to roll on friday with four days rest but it would help I would think.I'm picturing Dixie on it.look out lol.She is a different dog than any I've owned.

11. ab5228

ab5228

You know I did mix it ahead of time in a water bottle to be easier. Maybe that was my issue. I’ll try mixing just before using it and see if she likes it better.

12. birdhntr

birdhntr

I ordered a 4 pound tub after reading this.I have three dogs.Two GSP"S one hunts hard andis good for three hours and done.The second one is hard headed and will keep at it but shows wear and slows some if not finding game.The third is a pup that is 10 months and gets tired.I can say without question that it works and noticed a difference in all three dogs.The will and the way they carried themselves over a four day hunting period was impressive and I could see it in there eyes and expressions.
    This will be part of my regiment going forward here on out.Thanks for the tip.
    I used to do hamburger and rice which was beneficial to but no comparison

13. Stand By

Stand By

Without starting a whole other dog food thread, anybody have any input on the 4-Health brand carried at Tractor supply? Been thinking of going with PPP for some time, but getting resistance from my other half Our Great Pyrenees, Elsie does good on 4-Health and we need to keep her on the fish recipe for a sensitive stomach. It's been easiest to give them both the same, obviously. Might just stick with supplements and/or quality treats to make up the difference in activity for the season. I guess, just because Elsie's does good on it with her sensitive stomach, doesn't mean Gibby being much more active this time of the year, will get the same benefit.

14. birdhntr

birdhntr

Personally I would get PPP for the other dog.It is the best thing you can do for your dog.

15. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

Avoid grain free dog food. My cousin is a vet tech for one of the largest vet clinics in the southern thumb region and I got my information from her. Grain free dog like 4 Health is horrible for your dog. Any kind of grain free dog food they’re finding is a mess and can cause a list of health issues down the road. I switched my dog from diamond to pro plan and the difference has been incredible.

skidoojc and sportsman98 like this.