Diamond Naturals Exteme Athelete?

Discussion in 'Upland Game hunting, Dogs and dog training' started by mattm, Sep 6, 2020.

1. mattm

mattm

I normally feed my dog PPP performance 30/20.

Went up north and forgot dog food....they didn't have PPP but they recommended Diamond Naturals Exteme Athelete. Its 32/25 so good stats I guess and it's cheaper than PPP

Anyone have experience good or bad with this food?

I'd love to switch for the $$$

Sent from my SM-G930V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

2. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Diamond seems to change every so often.

3. birdhntr

birdhntr

I was convinced to switch to PPP from Diamond and it was well worth the money.I can't see myself going back to Diamond for what it's worth.
    JMHO.

4. trad_66

trad_66

Is there a difference you've noticed? ...I've fed Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete for 3 years year-round with no issues but have wanted to slowly switch to PPP.

5. birdhntr

birdhntr

I
    I get more dog out of feeding purina plus their support for what I am passionate about and charitable contributions as was explained to me a few years ago.

6. Hackman

Hackman

Mickey Mantle use to brag about getting drunk with Billy Martin the night before a big game and stealing a couple bases and hitting some home runs. Just sayin the great ones seem to be great on whatever.

jfn likes this.
  7. birdhntr

birdhntr

A three hour run in heavy cover keeping an engine full of steam requires more than bourbon for endurance.It is all about what you ask of the dog

cruiseplanner1 likes this.
  8. mattm

mattm

I haven't noticed a difference so far. His coats still shiny and plenty of energy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

9. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

Compare turds

Nostromo, birdhntr and Bobby like this.
  10. ab5228

ab5228

Always interesting to me how some of the feeds with higher fat percentage have less kcal/cup than others with less fat. Fat has more calories per gram. Must just be less dense feed.

I’m feeding ppp sport salmon and rice, it’s 30/20, 526 kcal/cup but 4433kcal/kg

Diamond naturals extreme athlete - 32/25 470kcal/cup but 4710kcal/kg

And I just answered my curiosity. ppp more kcal/volume. Diamond more kcal/weight. So ppp is more dense, more weight or mass per cup. More calories.

I wonder how many ppl care about their own diet as much as their dogs.

Nostromo, Quig7557, T Baker and 2 others like this.
  11. Bobby

Bobby

Diamond has had 2 quality spills since I started with dogs, both spills KILLED dogs. No Diamond food will ever be poured into the bowls of my dogs. I use PPP Sport exclusively, from the first feeding of puppies until their last day with us.

bombcast, Soignie, Nostromo and 3 others like this.
  12. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

I can't disagree.
    It's interesting how different foods show impact on our dogs.
    Greasy coat. Smelly. Big poops. Malabsorption. Dandruff, itchiness, whatever.
    Internal stuff as well. Bladder stones. Fatty tumors. Diabetes. Kidney trouble.
    All stuff in a human we can say are diet related.

PPP has been the most consistently healthy food I have ever fed.
    And, tiny poops to boot.

Soignie likes this.
  13. Gsphunteronpoint1

Gsphunteronpoint1

Im interested in switching to the PPP, I have a 4 year old GSP female that is very active (has free roam on my 10 acres) so she is constantly moving. I was just curious what everyone was using as feeding amount for their dogs? She is around 65 pounds right now. Very tall for a female. But her physique is spot on. Just looking for a starting point when I make the switch. Thanks!

14. Bobby

Bobby

I have setters, they can free roam on 30 acres. The more active dogs get a around 2.5 cups/day, the lower activity pair get 1.5 cups/day. Constable monitor their weight and measure all food. The run in weight from 33 to 47 pounds.

15. Gamekeeper

Gamekeeper

It d
    Doesn't seem like much food, does it?
    Since Rox was spayed, it's hard to lean her out. She's on the lo-cal with the big crunchy clusters.
    My poop patrol is almost nothing anymore.