Detroit River Shallow Water Bite

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by phawksmulder, Oct 21, 2020.

1. phawksmulder

phawksmulder

I'm quite new to fishing the area. I've seen most people have success in the river fishing the deeper water (including the shore fishers like myself). I know a lot of lakes tend to have more species tucking up into shallower territory during cold water conditions. Is that something people target in the river? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

In general, I'm targeting walleye but, I'm also just looking to have a good time and explore new territory so I'm open to catching any species if there are some good suggestions.

2. carp assassin

carp assassin

Yes the walleye will go shallow in the river. they will go really shallow in the spring (as shallow as a couple feet). In the fall they will also go shallow but I’ve had better success in mid depth break lines. The later it gets in the year your better off trolling st Clair or Erie

phawksmulder likes this.

3. phawksmulder

phawksmulder

What would you call mid-depth, if you don't mind me asking? 15-20ft? Is it still a certain times of day thing like earlier in the year or would it be reasonable to cast in 3-10ft of water in the afternoon? I don't have boat access so unfortunately I have to plan my spots pretty carefully haha

I assume the spring shallow run is staging for spawn.

4. carp assassin

carp assassin

There are a few Canadian you tube shore fisherman who do well in the fall. From shore you have to work with what you got. I personally would cast on an 45 degree angle down current and slowly bounce the jig back to you. Not sure of many spots but I know guys do well at the park by alter rd from shore

Waif and phawksmulder like this.
  5. Jon Bondy

Jon Bondy

Walleye will act like bass more often than people think, as far as depths and lures they’ll chase. Approach it from that mindset and you might be surprised!

6. Sir Walter

Sir Walter

I’ve seen those videos by some guy named Buck. They’re pretty funny but they do catch walleyes jigging from shore at a park along the Canadian side of the river. Now where I fish, if you make a long cast with a 3/4oz jig and bounce it back to you, you better have a thousand jigs in your box because you’ll need them lol

7. phawksmulder

phawksmulder

I've seen the youtube channel you guys are referring to. He's actually what got me out fishing there haha.

I've tried a couple spots but the luck has been really slow working the deeper water like he does. My current methods have been casting either a 3/4oz or 1oz jig with plastics and jigging them back. Tried some straight retrieve with swimbaits and a similar setup as well. I've found a couple areas where snags aren't a huge issue. Finding one where you can avoid snagging every cast or avoid killing every fish you catch from barotrauma is challenging though given the aggressive topography of the river. I'm a bit leery of fishing much deeper than 25ft for that reason.

Might have to try some shallower areas as a changeup.

Wild Earth likes this.
  8. Wild Earth

Wild Earth

Did relatively well from shore this spring. Might try for an hour or two tonight after work tonight if I get dont get off too late. Might try first light too, but I need to help family around 930 so I cant stay long. If I make it out I will post results here. Gonna be chilly haha

9. Divers Down

Divers Down

Buck Fishes is a heck of a bank basher. His videos are educational and very entertaining. Funny guy

10. Slimshady

Slimshady

If you are fishing during the low-light times, I would focus on areas 10 feet deep or less, especially around current breaks that tend to attract minnows. For example just down-stream from Cobo the wall cuts back creating a current break, then again by the Post Office. I would try casting swimbaits, stick-baits (like husky jerks) or rattle-traps. Another bait that works well is a 1/2 to 3/4 oz jig-head with a 4" plastic minnow (like we use for jigging), however, with a "safety-pin" style spinner attached to it (like you would have on a beetle-spin). You can cast those things a mile and they can be worked at all depths. They are also relatively snag-free & weedless.

The park below the AMB bridge would be an area I would focus on during the day. I haven't tried it from shore, but it's a good area from the boat, even up near shore.

11. Wild Earth

Wild Earth

Did hit a couple spots this weekend from shore this weekend. Got a sucker, a sheep and small cat on crawler harness. Jigging was tough because the weeds are pretty obnoxious compared to spring. Gonna try again in a week or two.

12. Slimshady

Slimshady

That spot below the AMB bridge shouldn't have any weeds. It is around 25 feet deep right next to the seawall.

Wild Earth likes this.
  13. phawksmulder

phawksmulder

Good to know. This was a bit what I was thinking. I'm usually chasing an evening bite as I try to get down there for an hour or two after work.

14. Wild Earth

Wild Earth

Deeeeeeep water. Fast current too? Never fished riverside....its a little sketchy after dark over there. It can be a little sketchy during the day haha. Im a bit like Phawksmulder...geting in a couple hours after work or on my day off early AM so most of my time is in the dark.

The new part right by the bridge looks real nice though. Thanks a bunch for the tip, maybe I'll give that a go next outing!

15. Slimshady

Slimshady

Plus it is right next to the Pilot boat office, so it should be a little safer. A buddy of mine fishes the river downtown near Cobo from shore almost every morning and has yet to have any issues. Not saying it can't happen, but that area is relatively safe. I would be more worried late at night vs first thing in the AM. Criminals don't tend to be "early-birds", unless they are still up from the night before.