Detroit River Pike Fishing

Discussion in 'Detroit River and Lake Erie' started by mbs, Sep 23, 2020.

1. micooner

micooner

Used to fish with my unit leader from flatrock ford plant. He would swear us to secrets on his honey hole spots in crystal bay for pike lol

Divers Down likes this.
  2. mbs

mbs

That is crazy... that you can see that well. Even in clear water that's some helluva vision you got there. Those days are long gone for me. Darn aging! :mad:

sureshot006 likes this.

3. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

I can see it on the up stroke so its down about 20'

4. Zib

Zib

My best early fall pike bait has been a black bucktail with nickel blade (i.e. Buchertail 500/700 series). That's been on LSC. My pike catches on the DR have mostly been accidental catches. Haven't targeted pike on the DR in almost 20 years.

I do very good on white spinner baits with a plastic trailer (no trailer hook) in upper Michigan & U.P. lakes.

mbs likes this.
  5. 50incher

50incher

Pike on the river, man what a question !....as a kid we used to catch small "chubs" in shallow water on a #10 hook ? lol....then fish deeper for Pike, broke my favorite Walleye rod on one when it ran under the boat....bottom line, Pike #'s are a fraction of what they used to be, so their gonna be harder to find....

Time of year sure helps with upping the odds but man would I like to see what it was like when my dad was younger, they used to put Perch under a bobber for bait, lol....this time of year we have got a few nice ones fishing Perch deeper, @ 20', I don't think there's any rhythm or reason this late ? maybe so on big Pike water ? but on the D, ehhh....follow the food, which is another ? because it's all over, lol....

Would love to hear the results from your derby....cheers....

mbs and sureshot006 like this.
  6. mbs

mbs

Tha
    Thanks for the well wishes 50, I'll let you know how I do Sunday morning. Going to make a surveillance trip to the usual spots tonight when I get out of work. There's pike to be had in the D but locating them this time of year ain't easy. Water temp down to 63-66 now so maybe that will turn them on. This past Saturday I caught a 12" snot rocket on the interior of the western side of Stony using a black/nickel Mepps #5. My best luck for pike in the D has come early to mid-April in the shallow slack water regions. Back in the spring of 2019 on three consecutive days I caught a 36" a 34" and a 38" on soft swimbaits and a husky jerk. Two years ago in mid-August awhile fishing the wreckage by Sullivan's I caught about ten fish in the mid 20" class using a home-made spinner of a Colorado blade in front of a Z-Man RazR shad on a #4 weighted EWG hook. Haven't been able to repeat that success last year or this year however. Well, I guess that's why we call it "fishin" and we don't call it "catchin" ;)

7. Jon Bondy

Jon Bondy

Find the biggest swampy bays and fish the deep weed edge out in front of them.

8. mbs

mbs

Thanks Jon :bowdown:

9. joe dirt

joe dirt

Pm sent

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

10. Jon Bondy

Jon Bondy

Throw a bass flipping jig and chunk on those weed edges or any grassy point.

mbs likes this.
  11. -db-

-db-

Hit Airport Bay and the Black Lagoon. Lots of places at/near GI that should be productive.

12. mbs

mbs

Black Lagoon? I'm sure I've fished there before but where is it?

13. -db-

-db-

Trenton, south end of McLouth.

14. mbs

mbs

No way!!! I live on Grosse Ile right across the river from the Black Lagoon. Never knew it was called that. I look at it through my back window every day. :D

15. -db-

-db-

It was heavily polluted back in the day, hence the name. I believe they've since named it Elias Cove, named after the park there, after dredging and cleaning it up years ago. Anyway, it's a decent pike spot close to you.