Define "Cubs"

Discussion in 'MichiganBear.com' started by Silver Panner, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Tilden Hunter

Tilden Hunter

I've run into that before a couple of times. I had multiple adults come in with one cub. No telling which one is with the cub, so I couldn't shoot any of them.

2. grapestomper

grapestomper

A cub is only big enough to make a couch pillow out of.

3. johnIV

johnIV

It's a controversial subject somewhat. I shot a bear some years back after not killing one for 8 years. Had two bears at that site. One nice bear(150-200) the other (100-120) smaller. Well, the smaller bear showed up so I shot it. I knew it was the smaller bear but looked forward to some bear meat, so I harvested it. Weighed 110lbs+/- dressed. Even tho I wanted that bear, I couldn't help but feel like I shot a bear much too small. Not a cub but not an adult bear. It definitely was a juvenile bear but alone and on its own. There was a time when I'd never shoot a bear that size. Today, I'll shoot one every time they come in the bait. If it's legal, it's freezer meat. I have enough mounts and rugs. There is concern in the bear hunting community about shooting small bears. Mostly because the regs aren't real clear. Most first time bear hunters couldn't tell a 42" bear from a 60" bear. They are a deceiving animal to size up if you are inexperienced. Even experienced hunters make errors in sizing up bears. All I can say is, if it's not a little bear with it's mom or looking like another bear is taking care of it, green light. If it looks like the text book coon sized cub(s), just enjoy the show.

4. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

My first bear might not have dressed much over 110 lbs and I just called the biologist for the verified aged: 4 years. His hide squared 5 feet or slightly under. He's now a rug.

Weight on a bear is not too far short of meaningless. A 200 lb bear in the fall might weigh 120-140 in the spring. Male bears keep losing weight through the rut in May/June.

Forest Meister and sureshot006 like this.
  5. johnIV

johnIV

Most novice bear hunters over estimate the weight on bears. My first bear literally looked like a furry black Volkswagen. Female weighed 320 dressed. Huge for a female IMO for a michigan bear but it really wasn't as big as it looked except it was round. Aged at 14. Definitely not a breeding sow. Another bear i shot was150lbs. Same thing, looked huge at my 12 yard shot. Thought for sure it was a 250lb + bear. I'm not much better today at sizing them up but as I said, I shoot anything legal because there so tasty. I heard one state I think it may have been Tennessee where the bear must weigh 70 lbs to be legal. Talk about being worried about pulling the trigger. Not sure I could tell a 70 lb bear from a 65 lb or 75lb bear. Pretty ridiculous to have rules like that.

shaffe48b and sureshot006 like this.
  6. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

My 2016 bear I was surprised at the age when it came back. I think it was 3 or 4 but I'd have to look. Anyway, I emailed them to ask how accurate the analysis was because my bear made CBM, and I told them the dimensions and approx weight. They said my bear was above average size for its age, but well within the bounds of their data set for the age. Bottom line, bears are like people in that some are larger than others.

Forest Meister, johnIV and shaffe48b like this.
  7. shaffe48b

shaffe48b

Yeah I can manage to lump them into small medium and big. Kind of. My medium is like 75-85 percent of the dang things. About it. Good thing it doesnt matter much.

Tilden Hunter and sureshot006 like this.
  8. CL-Lewiston

CL-Lewiston

Kinda like some of those 300 yard deer shots.