Deer Movement Research - the Moon, Weather, Wind, and “Lull”

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by November Sunrise, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Steve

Steve Staff Member Admin

No truer words have been spoken.

2. bmoffit

bmoffit

nice..... way to go.... you ruined it for me

3. bmoffit

bmoffit

Honestly. My biggest problem is I used to get sucked into gadgets that work for someone else in a major way... like that guy that used the primos doe bleat can years ago and shot that monster in Ohio...... ya... bmoffit bought a 3 pack... small medium and large..... stupid stupid stupid.... although it has brought deer in.... no 230”ers... moon guide... deer cast.... blah blah. And up until this thread I thought going off of experience was the best deer guide.... now that I’ve been instructed and educated that our experiences are biased.... well... guess I’m just screwed

4. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

If I spook deer every time out do my chances at killing a nice buck still increase??

5. CDN1

CDN1

Well, for hunters on small land parcels that is the game inside the game isn't it...A hunters success is often defined by ones ability to keep their intentions a secrect too as many as possible for as long as possible. However there is always a risk of "letting the cat out of the bag" the moment you decide to enter an environment where the prey is intimately more familiar with the landscape than you, the predator. However with no risk there can be no reward. The successful hunter is often the one that is able to determine the best ways to hunt to balance or minimize the risk of tipping off their prey until the greatest opportunity of a succesful kill presents its self.
    That may mean minimizing the number of times you hunt, or your approach to your stand or hunting closer to the RUT when the preys attention is focused on breeding. Each hunter has to evaluate their own tolerance of risk that may ultimately lead to failure rather than success. On smaller parcels of land it's kind of a trade off. Hunt it too much you increase the risk of your prey determining your intentions but you want to hunt enough to maximize your chances of an encounter with your targeted prey.

6. Uncle Boopoo

Uncle Boopoo

I love these gps collar studies! Makes a lot of those old myths seem so silly.

One thing that piqued my interest is that they found moon phase did have some minor effect on deer movement. To me, that’s a lot different than saying moon phase has no effect at all. We all know the devil is in the details. On any given day that extra little bit of movement could be the difference between you getting a shot or not.

springIstrutfallIrut likes this.
  7. CHASINEYES

CHASINEYES

I don't think there is any better time to patterning an older buck than the first week of Oct. on a good food source. Perhaps that pattern would last longer (up to rut) if all human activity could be removed and the food source remained the same.

The same or similar patterns emerge again after the rut where reliable food sources exist and with human activity removed or controlled.
    Having said all of that, oh I miss the old days with fewer neighboring hunters. Wish I owned half a section of contiguous ground or more. Less of the right ground could suffice in holding those patterns with controlled human activity.

8. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

The study followed 5 bucks for three weeks of one year, in one area, and tried to present that as a valid study that can draw conclusions about deer movement everywhere? I'll trust my own observations instead. Deer don't move the same irrespective of weather.

Also when you blend in three weeks into one graph it takes away any peaks they may have had on several cold days vs lulls on hot days. Their movement differences are day to day. The confirmation bias is in the article. The author hadn't heard of or believed in an October lull, so they scrape together a few data points to try and validate it. No thanks, I'll trust my own eyes, which tell me deer, especially older bucks, move significantly more during cold fronts.

sniper, Sasquatch Lives and TJD like this.
  9. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

What's your definition of an older buck?

Why do older bucks move significantly more during cold fronts?

10. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

3.5+ y.o. (not saying mature)

I dont know why. Frankly it doesn't matter to me much. Maybe they have their winter coats in October and its hot to walk around in 70 degree heat?

11. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

So a 3.5 year old buck increases his exposure to predators based on temperature? If it's 50 degrees instead of 70, it causes him to walk around more in daylight?

Is mature buck movement higher year round in the U.P. than it is in the SLP, considering how large the gap in temperatures typically is?

January is the coldest month. Is it the highest deer movement month?

12. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

There is more to it than that. I dont feel like arguing.

I dont know. I dont hunt the UP.

No.

13. Bob S

Bob S

A timely video for this discussion.

14. Tarzan1488

Tarzan1488

All of this information is extremely useful, opinions will vary, experiences, the hit and misses this is what is great about the hunt. We live and learn! Learning October is fun for me, learning the patterns waiting for pre rut, and full rut are the most exciting times!! Not guaranteed but doe bleat, hot doe urine or mock scrapes the 100 different buck doe scents some have success and some do not.. This is the fun part to go out and enjoy the hunt! To Live and To Learn!

No secrets to hard work, putting time in and using what you know works best !!! some years stuff worked for me and years it did not!.

springIstrutfallIrut likes this.
  15. Whitetail_hunter

Whitetail_hunter

@zer0 I know you like those cold fronts. Whats your take here?

Sam22 likes this.