Deer Movement Research - the Moon, Weather, Wind, and “Lull”

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by November Sunrise, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Dish7

Dish7

Link Please. With all the factors I mentioned.

2. Waif

Waif

Not answering for Nov. S..
    Caloric intake can be reduced on winter range. (Drought can substitute for winter severity when forage is reduced greatly).
    Countered in part by reduced metabolism (during winter severity type cold) and activity and fat reserves where reserves exist.
    Where fat reserves don't exist or are burned through , muscle gets drains /auto cannibalism type attempt at survival follows. Followed by marrow drain. Often at or near fatality level.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...ing-the-metabolism-of-the-wintering-whitetail

Ieatshrooms likes this.

3. Osceola

Osceola

The onus is not on me to do your research for you, Dish. You can find the studies, read them for yourself and decide if they meet your approval for scientific methodology. My contention is they are better sources of information than can be gleaned from personal observation, myth, tradition, etc. Do with it as you please.

mbrewer likes this.
  4. Ieatshrooms

Ieatshrooms

I understand that...but it doesn't disagree with what I said. Cold temps require any warm blooded animal to burn more calories to maintain temp. So they conserve more energy by not moving as much, on top of slower metabolic rates. In the coldest parts of Jan. and Feb. deer rarely move besides going from bed to food, bed to food, and they try and make those two areas as close as possible. Why waste additional energy? In other words, weather influences their movements.

5. Dish7

Dish7

I've looked. But BTW, I have stated that I don't discount these rc studies at all. Why would I? I'm just not convinced that they rule out every environmental factor that a deer lives under. I would love to see a study that doesn't just focus on warm vs cold, but rather in the moment weather changes.

jeffm, Sparky23 and Joe Archer like this.
  6. Waif

Waif

A couple recounts of tracking deer in heavy frost were Oct..
    One individual buck. Two doe. (Two events same year.)
    They were where they wanted to be in chosen bedding. Does under an oak on a powerline edge. And the buck to his usual 50 yardish area in second growth downwind of a particular scrape.
    Being mornings , the buck was returning from his circuit.
    The does had it seemed meandered around in the oaks prior. It was a mast year.

Those real cold archery hunts when nothing seemed to be moving and I wondered how much a below freezing arrow would burn going through? I found easy to hunt less in such cold.
    The deer didn't quit being deer though....

Frost is not a big change as far as breaking a pattern or routine. With exception of browse affected.
    Weather changes like fronts deer are expected to be more active before , I've not benefitted greatly from . I don't recall frontside greater success anyways.
    After strong weather changes though I've done better.
    That is not all due to my spending more time hunting after a big weather change originally. Tried both sides. And some durings of course. And there's been some during surprises.

Weather can put an individual down a while. But not all.
    Wonder how far off I am when stating deer move less after the first snow of an inch or two that sticks a while.
    Never considered barometric pressure or the related front. Only deer either not liking the reflective brightness , or leaving obvious tracks.
    Fawns were seen browsing more than any other age.
    And the following night time would see deer breaking out into preferred browse/forage.
    Making morning after hunts slow. Feed rest cycle having full bellies predawn , maybe.

LabtechLewis likes this.
  7. Waif

Waif

Winter does , no doubt.
    Flies can too. L.o.l..

Lowest seen activity where I watch the most (wholly unscientific) might well be affected by hunting pressure and human activity more than weather. Deer are sulking on the neighbors property ,or mine.
    A short distance , but one party can see nothing on an evening hunt , while the other sees all when deer get up.
    An hour to go fifty yards maybe. But browse exists , so no need to leave till dark.

I have tracked danged cold Jan. weather deer in the same area.
    Snow depth was not a challenge , allowing a night destination back to bedding meandering browse instead of staying on a run.
    Danged wind was cold!
    Unfortunately I don't recall the weather to follow.
    The deer covered a good distance from night time feeding to bedding.
    It was winter type bedding that historically was used for worst weather. With poor browse.
    IF not bedding based on coming weather , other options closer to nightly destinations were not chosen due to competition, maybe.

Now I feel cold..

8. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

You're making a good point regarding caloric needs but I don't think you're drawing the line precisely where it deserves to be drawn.

Colder temps leading to more caloric consumption does not demonstrate that a deer will eat more frequently. What it does indicate is that a deer will feed for a longer duration during its daily feeding periods. It also could indicate that a deer utilizes different food sources to meet the increased caloric requirements.

In addition, colder temps could cause a deer to bed in closer proximity to food sources, thus actually minimizing movement.

9. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

The research at Mississippi State, Penn State, etc. would include a massive amount of data points.

Info regarding in the moment weather changes (basically the micro responses to things such as the immediate onset or aftermath of a strong thunderstorm, a blizzard, etc) does exist but to my knowledge it hasn't been compiled for the purpose of publication.

10. November Sunrise

November Sunrise

Did a lot of bass fishing when I was a kid and teenager. Would catch some when they were biting and not catch any when they weren't. From observation and personal experience of many hundreds of hours on the water I knew I could catch them "if they were biting."

Sophomore year of high school went fishing for the first time with a friend who as it turned out knew a bit more about bass fishing than I did. We boated 20+ fish that day on a lake where the most I'd ever caught was 4. His premise was that the bass were always biting - just needed to figure out where they were concentrated and identify a pattern they would respond to. After fishing with him for a few years my belief system (and skill set) completely changed.

In many, many endeavors in life, personal experience can be a hindrance more than a benefit. Many times the most experienced people have stopped learning and are instead dedicated to doing (and thinking) what they've always done and thought.

11. Dish7

Dish7

Like I said. I've looked.

12. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

I think the focus on temperature partially misses the boat.
    Most often significant drops is temperature follow inclement or stormy weather. Deer are likely to feed less at night during stormy conditions. Hunters associate an increase in deer activity the following day(s) and relate it to the drop in temperature following a low pressure system.
    The increase in activity is just as likely to be compensatory feeding for reduced intake during the storm or low pressure situation.
    <----<<<

jiggin is livin and Dish7 like this.
  13. Dish7

Dish7

So, you don't believe that fish move in or out of water columns because of water temps or sunlight?

Sparky23 likes this.
  14. Hillsdales Most Wanted

Hillsdales Most Wanted

Did u read the study that showed 50 bucks stayed on 40 acres all of October November & December? Apparently the owner of the 40 planted only fall food plots & hung a licking vine.:lol:

Sorry I had to

jiggin is livin, mbrewer and Dish7 like this.
  15. Joe Archer

Joe Archer Staff Member Mods

..... and feed less during low pressure systems and storms! ;)
    <----<<<