Deer Hunting Must Haves

Discussion in 'General Michigan Hunting' started by B.Ziegler, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Dish7

Dish7

Exactly. The last 15 minutes of a morning sit is spent gassing. Couldn't begin to count how many deer that I have spotted when I thought things were dead. Arrowed one of my best bucks this way.

Skibum and alaska86 like this.
  2. snortwheeze

snortwheeze

Was bedded near by ?

3. Dish7

Dish7

No, slowly following/tending a doe headed in my direction through thick cover about 100 yards out. I spotted the doe twitch and kept watching. Then spotted a tine behind her. I don't want sabotage this thread with a long story, lol. I first spotted them at about 10:40 am. Arrowed that buck at 4:15 pm. They were within 75 yards the whole day. If you can think of a rutting behavior, I witnessed it that day. Absolutely amazing day...and I would have gotten down and spooked them without binos.

TheLionsFan, Waif and pgpn123 like this.
  4. Waif

Waif

[ I don't want sabotage this thread with a long story].
    And you claim to be a deer hunter?:lol:

It's o.k.. You can work on developing the skill.

5. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Another must have is a target butt to sight in and practice shooting into. If your crossbow doesn’t have the means to decock without firing you will need to sacrifice a bolt. They do make a special bolt just for that purpose.

6. Hausser

Hausser

If you decide to hunt during cold and/or wet/snowy conditions, you'll be glad you have chemical hand warmers to put in your boots, gloves, and at the base of your neck. Once a bitter chill sets in, you have to move to warm up or quit the hunt that outing.

Sharkbait11 likes this.
  7. CL-Lewiston

CL-Lewiston

I have a small draw string bag my wife made. Short piece of rope, knife, rubber gloves from Docs office, small flashlight,
    and a Zippo that I found at a garage sale few yrs ago-loaded w/ fluid. I dont take it w/ me in the AM but do for the eve.

Few extra rounds in pocket and gloves/mittens.

Sharkbait11 likes this.
  8. 50yearsadeerhunter

50yearsadeerhunter

9. DuckMan

DuckMan

I am 53 this year. Been hunting since I was 14yrs old. The one item beyond the essentials (license, knowledge, deer, weapon, knife, warm boots, warm clothes) that I would list as a must have that others might consider a luxury item is a hand muff. I have used one since I was 16yrs old. Made our own back then and now there are better commercial versions. If my hands and feet are warm, I can stay in the stand much quieter and longer. And patience is what you need when you start.....without it, you have to rely on luck. Doing the homework and setting up properly all goes out the window if you can't put in the time. I need to be warm to do that.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=hunting+hand+muff&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

o_mykiss likes this.
  10. Jaspo

Jaspo

A compass!! It doesn't matter how well you know a piece of property, if you're tracking with your head down way after dark, it's really easy to get turned around.

Waif likes this.
  11. Sharkbait11

Sharkbait11

TP is also a good trail marker if you are following a blood trail and backup firestarter incase you ever need to camp out over night.

Heres what I bring:
    Weapon of choice
    Warm clothes with multiple layers
    Grunt call, also used to cover my entrance and exit not just calling deer
    pocket saw and paracord550, you can cut down some small trees and tie deers legs to it, helps a ton carrying deer out this way
    water
    rangefinder because I primarily bowhunt
    snacks if its a long sit
    TP if its a long sit
    hotseat butt pad
    gloves and face covering
    waterproof boots
    flashlight is a must have
    knife for gutting is a must
    small hatchet if I dont have my pocket saw

I carry everything in a simple over the shoulder range bag. Use carabiners for attaching other items I dont always bring out. I like to hunt in comfort and have everything I need to make extraction easy if I get a deer down. Always plan to stay out hours later then you expect, sometimes a bad hit requires night tracking or you might just get a deer that wants to hang around your stand after shooting light.

12. Skibum

Skibum Premium Member

If you are an avid duck hunter just get rid of 90% of your gear and you'll be good to go :whistle:

The one must have IMO is a good portable tree stand. Whether it's a climber or a hang on with sticks nothing has had a more positive impact for me over the years. You need to hunt where the deer want to be.

13. bowhunter42

bowhunter42

Buy once, cry once. And nothing beats time in the woods.

14. wildcoy73

wildcoy73

most important thing one needs is the desire to be outside. I think I had more fun when I just had the old single shot 12 gage with me, and a sack lunch.
    would just drive to the woods and go out for the day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app