Deer flies when fishing question

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by shell waster, Jun 6, 2020.

1. shell waster

shell waster

Lots of times on smaller lakes the bugs are lighting us up at the landing, mosquitos and black flies, but once on the water they are pretty much gone.

Just wondering if deer flies do the same. I haven't fished smaller lakes during the deer fly season

2. JimJim

JimJim

Deer flies will bite you out on the lake. They seem to be out the last of July and all of August (the hottest weather).Once I was bit on the ankle and my entire foot swelled. Use double stick tape on the back of your hat or geranium oil spray.

3. piketroller

piketroller

They love to land on your ankle whether you have on socks or not. I think having some exposed sock between your pant cuff and your shoe is like a magnet to them. Get some long ass pants for protection.

4. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Have your fishing partner wear bright blue, problem solved LOL.

Deer flies are attracted to blue stuff. When they get bad around our house I made traps out of blue plastic Solo cups.

DEDGOOSE likes this.
  5. DEDGOOSE

DEDGOOSE

Bwahaha they are the spawn of satan. You don't know your bit until it's done. They're attracted to blue like you mentioned. I mow dad's lawn. He's surrounded by swamp. One day I was mowing they're attracted to motors to thought I ran over a bee hive no these sobs. Luckily dad saves coffee cans for some reason. Did research, lined whole perimeter with maxwell house coffee cans covered in stp oil treatment. Caught 100s. People probably thought I was nuts with a coffee can taped to mower with stp but it worked.

Quack you made my morning hilarious

6. Biggbear

Biggbear

Vicks Vapor Rub. When I heard it, I thought no way. But honest to God it works. My Lab is allergic to the damn things, poor dog goes out to pee and 10 minutes later looked like he went 3 rounds with Mike Tyson. And this was every time he went out from July through August. Poor boy lived on Benadryl. Started putting it on his collar where he couldn't get too it and along his under carriage, no more bites. When I heard it I would have tried anything for my buddy, couldn't believe it works. I started using it too, especially when mowing the lawn like Dedgoose mentioned and no more bites on me either. I keep an old baseball hat that I put some on the bill and the back, and put some on my arms and on the cuff of my pant legs. Doesn't take much.

MichiFishy and -db- like this.
  7. shametamer

shametamer

geez vicks vapo rub now???? damn i AM lathered with deet..clothes are soaked with permathrin..now vicks? shoot it costs plenty for the anti-odour soap after, so fish arent repulsed..getting so i should buy a pharmacy..just so i have everything!..lmao

8. Biggbear

Biggbear

Ha! I hear ya. I only use vicks, but if you try em all at the same time maybe the damn things will be too confused to bite!