Deer Camp Food

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by NormD, Oct 25, 2020.

1. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

First hunting night is always steak,potatoes,and some vegetables. Steak is cooked either over the fire or on the stove depending on weather. 2nd night is pot roast. We have any where from 5-10 guys at camp. Better eat everything at dinner because, if you don’t Grandpa throws the left overs in the fried potatoes to have with eggs and sausage in the morning. Lunch is usually ham and cheese sandwich either cold or grilled with chilly. I don’t mind the steak the next morning but, green beans and other stuff I can do with out. You go hungry up there it’s your dam fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Rainman68

Rainman68

Always make a big pot o' chili and stew at camp before the opener, great lunch or a quick dinner after tracking. Pasties will be on hand, have to make those next week. Back strap will come into play along with the huge breakfasts. Just made 20lbs of venison summer sausage, I'm sure that will fit in. My staple for the opener the past few years is venison meatloaf, cheesy potatoes and baked beans. I usually hunt the afternoon on the eve so it gives me time for food prep. I cook others cleanup;)

[​IMG]

3. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Sorry no pic but smoked loin from Plath Meats along with a spiral sliced ham are also enjoyed at camp. If time allows just prior to season I will applewood smoke a pork butt for pulled pork sandwiches. It makes a great filler for all day hunts when warmed up on the Nuway blind stove.

4. ckosal

ckosal Addicted2hunting4 Premium Member

I have nothing unique but do have pride so will share out choices:

Snacks wise... i will start with those that go out in the woods...
    - Oreos, Poptarts, Nutter Butter, Little Debbie Treats - (ALL go amazing with coffee on cold morning)

Drinks
    - I used to rough it because that is what i thought you did at deer camp. That is crap! Life is too short. I drank cheap beer when i was in the Army. Now we have a great collection of awesome craft beers. I am a dark beer guy... Dad likes IPA. I shop for unique six packs and we go through many! My dad's favorite is Old Dirty Bastard as he is certain it is made for him!
    - We have good scotch (really good scotch) for our toasts. But we also have the other stuff for mixing... The guy i bought my place from gave me a nice bottle of Crown. We take a toast of that too with each buck to celebrate the work he did before we got there!
    - I will even admit i no longer use cheap coffee. I buy ground coffee for us. And you know what.. 10 am is when i allow myself a cup and i can say good coffee is really good coffee when you are anticipating it all morning! Camp is a celebration not prison.
    - Food... We do what many have said... We have venison swiss steak the night before bow opener (my fav). We have a tgiving dinner the night before gun opener with my uncles, cousins, brother, pops, etc. The first weekend in Nov is always good steaks right after clocks change. I do a mix of beef and venison tenderloins. Lunches always include Venison Chili, .. Venison Burgers with Cheese and Onions mixed in, or Venison Tacos. Some years pasties do make it in to the rotation in December.

I could fill a whole second page with snacks the kids get. Yes... i am bribing my kids to hunt. Skittles and starburst attract a lot of little hunting buddies ages 8-14. Ha. I swear my son and daughters get more excited hunting for the candy they get to buy at Meijer than they do the actual deer hunting!!

5. sureshot006

sureshot006 Staff Member Mods

Am I the only one that doesn't drink at deer camp?

The one unique thing we used to have was braunschweiger. Most everything else pretty random, though grandma's chicken soup was pretty much a staple. Spiral ham for on-stand sandwiches.

6. Carpenter Bill

Carpenter Bill

No drinking for carpenter bill, will be 6 season's this year. Much easier getting out of bed. Lol. Always have plenty of scooby snacks and a good variety. Gotta love the fall harvest.

7. 7mmsendero

7mmsendero

I quit about 8 years ago, so I’m with you. We never partied in our camps, my dad wouldn’t tolerate it. Early to bed and early to rise, I think it kind of shocked some of his buddies when they went on trips with us.

I still remember the year we were in Colorado and he deferred to a couple of his partners to plan our departure for the mountain. They screwed it all up, we were late and I was pretty sure they screwing it up the night before. Elk were running around everywhere as we pulled up with the sun rising. He fired those guys from planning anything from then on.

sureshot006 and Carpenter Bill like this.
  8. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

No you are not. Children are lot allowed to drink at my camp.

Wild Thing, uofmball1, ckosal and 3 others like this.
  9. ksp107

ksp107

This is one of the best threads on here!!!!! I grew up in Michigan and deer camp meals are the best!!!!!! I have family that comes down to Kentucky and we carry on that tradition here. The older I get the more special it is....

Forest Meister, Wild Thing and up520 like this.
  10. Fordguy

Fordguy

This all looks awesome. Its just one more thing that leaves me wishing I had a camp to go to. I come back to michigan to hunt every year, but out of the 20 something cousins I have, I'm the only one who hunts. Seems odd to me. My grandpa hunted and fished and he took all of my aunts and uncles out, they just didn't pass it on to their kids. As for my michigan friendsthat I hunted with as a kid.- some of their lifestyle choices make it difficult or impossible to get together anymore ...Lol. Good food and camp comraderie, you guys are lucky to have it.
    On the food side of things- the night of my first hunt i caramelize onions, sear some venison backstrap cutlets and add a little garlic and red wine. Simple but very good.

up520, Quig7557, polychoke and 2 others like this.
  11. stickbow shooter

stickbow shooter

Don't drink anymore either. Me and Firewater don't mix well lol. Hell it takes three days to recover from what use to be one day.

Wild Thing, miruss and Carpenter Bill like this.
  12. mbirdsley

mbirdsley

I don’t drink any more at deer camp. Atleast not the last 2 years. I hardly drink any more period

Everybody else drinks though which, is fine. Just not my thing any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

An allergic reaction to alcohol will put an end to your drinking days. There are times when I would really like to have a beer but it sure isn't worth it. Iodine allergies can mess your shrimp dinner too but that's another story.

Wild Thing likes this.
  14. Woodsman Traveler

Woodsman Traveler

For over 25 years, the eve before the opener was spent with all the guys at Hank’s Restaurant and Lounge in Alger. Unfortunately they closed their doors this year due to COVID and I’m sure other issues since new owners took over. We Are going to do the dinner at camp this year.

up520 and Carpenter Bill like this.
  15. miruss

miruss

Just looked i have 3 left out of a 6 pack with born on date of sept 2018