Deer Camp Food

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by NormD, Oct 25, 2020.

1. chasenabby

chasenabby

Pickled Bologna been a tradition for over 40 years.

2. retired dundo

retired dundo

M
    ade me feel like getting something to drink and eat

vsmorgantown, up520 and Wild Thing like this.

3. fishpig

fishpig

Fresh heart and tenderloins, hopefully. 20181013_225721.jpg

4. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

Deer camp seems to be all about tradition for us. The days when we have certain items may vary depending on who has to go home and when, but the menu itself seldom varies:

Brook trout and grouse, frogmore stew, moose or elk scaloppini, grilled ribs and BBQ chicken, a perch fry (definitely not zander;)) with enough fish that there are leftovers after six people are done eating, game hens, wild duck scaloppini, and spaghetti with a sauce that takes me about a day to make from scratch (the recipe, which was brought back by my oldest cousin when he returned from WW2, was passed on to me when he passed in 1983).

Besides the food, there are the traditional cigars and glass of port after the first kill, and after the second, third,...... FM

5. fishdude

fishdude

Basically anything with hot sauce and sausage gravy. When we were young and broke it was a beef ‘n’ bean burritos and keystone light.

6. Biggbear

Biggbear

Breakfast burritos, home made cinnamon rolls (nothing better warmed up on a Buddy Heater mid-day), and a toast to the Deer Gods on Deer Eve with Bird Dog blackberry brandy asking for a safe season, and for The Gods to look out for the hunters and dogs who are hunting on the other side.

7. skipper34

skipper34

We have a tradition of roast turkey dinner the night of the 14th. Good thing we have an oven big enough for a turkey in camp.

8. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Yep - They are home grown in Elaine's garden....and they're wonderful! We will have them again this year!

IMG_3065.jpg

aph, milanmark, vsmorgantown and 7 others like this.
  9. Wild Thing

Wild Thing

Sounds Wonderful!!

10. Forest Meister

Forest Meister

You obviously have good taste, pun intended. FM

Wild Thing likes this.
  11. Everyone in camp is responsible for one main entree at camp. My contribution is blackstrap wrapped in bacon. We will do a deep fried turkey the night before opening Walleye is always on the menu which is also deep fried Some extra hot and spicy chili along with spaghetti with fresh Italian sausage, steaks and maybe some burgers and brats Let’s not forget that big pot of chicken noodle soup. Already less on this year because he s recovering from covid and I have a feeling a few others might be on the fence also out of an abundance of caution. Can’t wait for this crap to be in the rear view mirror.

12. ReallyBigFish

ReallyBigFish

Breakfast after the morning hunt on the blackstone. Usually involves bacon or sausage, eggs and hashbrowns. Great meal after sitting all morning. And I love brussel sprouts. Elaine's garden looks great. My 2 yr old daughter is named Elaine.

13. HuronView

HuronView

Canadian Hunter Whiskey as a ghost toast. It’s the only time during the year we drink plastic-bottle quality liquor, but, “It’s the way she goes, boys.”

We also have some traditional Czech dishes done up by mom: goulash, marinated venison sirloin, garlic soup, Sekana (Czech meatloaf), and dad’s Pilsner Urquell clone.

I usually like a trip to Houghton to pick up some Vollwerth’s sausage, but we’ll see this year.

Looking forward to caloric bliss.

14. Fishindeer

Fishindeer

We’ve been doing a walleye fish fry for several years opening day eve, and venison or bear meat crock pot chili for opening day meals. Lots of grill cooked meals ,usually a lot later than normal dinner time.

15. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Every morning it's the same old thing. Left over venison from last year, fried potatoes and eggs. Grandpa gets to cook. Evening is something in the crockpot.

vsmorgantown, Wild Thing and up520 like this.