Deer Baiting Reversal

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debat' started by Hot Spot, May 9, 2019.

1. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

Maybe that is why the DNR allows baiting in the UP. The UP has the oldest demographic population in the state plus 6 million acres are open to all deer hunters even those from below the bridge. No group gets limited to 2 weekends. Come on up.

Maybe things will change. It took 11 years after the first case of CWD was discovered in the LP to get to this point.

jr28schalm likes this.
  2. rwenglish1

rwenglish1

I think they should ban apr’s state wide with the baiting ban if they are really serious about knocking down CWD

3. rwenglish1

rwenglish1

If no body baits the deer will move more and earlier to feed.

If you have a lot of people still baiting on private lands then they will stay near the bait and the ones abiding to the rules of the day will be out of luck and their hunting time will suck.

As long as piles of bait is available and on sale at every comercial buisness who wants to sell it, baiting will continue.

4. Rut-N-Strut

Rut-N-Strut

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

Hunters Edge likes this.
  5. Dish7

Dish7

Give me a break. Probably doesn't have anything to do with continually taking shots at private land owners in nearly every thread no matter the subject, lol. There are plenty of differing opinions on here that don't draw ire like your poor little messenger. Too funny.

6. Dale Malusi

Dale Malusi Banned

No matter how it is done, feeding deer is feeding deer.

mbrewer likes this.
  7. jr28schalm

jr28schalm

Yup, And some can legally do it. Good bye bait squatters on state land

RF Pro and Sparky23 like this.
  8. mbrewer

mbrewer

Is this about you or land owners? What's the motivation for your defense of anyone but yourself?

9. Martin Looker

Martin Looker

Around here the deer don't just eat at bait piles but wander through taking a bite of almost everything.

10. sniper

sniper

Pot meet kettle? Lmfao. Your writing skills smothers your reading skills.
    Have seriously ever read a swampy report??

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

11. Dish7

Dish7

Both. I believe habitat improvements to be extremely beneficial overall.

In many (not all) of my post, I state that "I can't speak for anyone else." Most MS members are very capable of defending their own opinion. With that said, maybe the better question is...what's yours?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  12. Liver and Onions

Liver and Onions

I think there will be a lot less baiting on public land in the LP this year. Less on private land too, but baiting will continue on private because it's easy and out of view in most cases. Those backyard apple trees will continue to produce and those apples will end up not far from a stand or a camera.

L & O

retired dundo and jr28schalm like this.
  13. ridgewalker

ridgewalker

I would love to come up or to get back a mile or two in the heavy stuff but getting 200 yards from camp is a challenge with PD. The legs will not have it.

For those that think I hunt over piles of bait, I stick to the law and lately that has been 2 gallons. I have killed more deer when not baiting when my legs were sound. My favorite places to hunt were the spots no one else would go to and I would not see another hunter all week. But those are just memories now. I have been hunting very close to 60 years now and giving it up will be like giving up breathing.

14. motdean

motdean

Well, this poster is hopeful that you aren't anywhere near close to either.

Justin, buckguts1970, hawgeye and 4 others like this.
  15. mbrewer

mbrewer

I don't think a serious person would question the benefit of habitat improvements. I also don't think a serious person would fail to recognize the potential for unintended consequences.

I can agree with this, it's why I asked you for your motivation. I get miscategorized all the time, if I got bent out of shape of defensive every time that happened I wouldn't have time to do anything else.

As for my motivation, I can shake off just about anything directed at me because no one knows me better than me. Right or wrong ain't news to me. I enjoy the back and forth of a disagreement, what I don't enjoy is seeing people focus on some words at the exclusion of others. And using that to shape the debate in an unfair manner.

I'm quite sure Swampy can defend his position just fine but I do like to occasionally interpret or reinforce his message in a way that makes it easier to understand and harder to ignore.

motdean likes this.