Deer and Elk Competition or Coexistence

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by HungryHunter, May 31, 2017.

1. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

Hello. I was doing some scouting in Northern Michigan this weekend and I saw a lot of Elk sign and a fair amount of deer sign. Does anyone have anyone experience deer hunting in areas that Elk live? Will they commingle or do they tend to have very distinctive core areas? Thanks for input.

2. Luv2hunteup

Luv2hunteup

If there is food they will share the same field/food source. Elk is the dominant creature. Elk will come out earlier in the evening.

3. srconnell22

srconnell22

All depends on the individual animals. Last fall I had to wait for an upper 160s whitetail to get out of the way so I could have my hunter shoot the cow elk he was standing next to.

Other times, as soon as the elk step into the field, the deer are gone.

4. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

Thanks for both of your feedbacks. I was getting nervous about some of my potential stands, but it sounds like the Elk in the area wont make it un-huntable for Whitetails. Thanks and good luck on your adventures.

5. JBooth

JBooth

over by my place in the NELP we have deer and elk all mixed together. Elk sign everywhere and deer sign there as well.

6. Smokin-the-eyes

Smokin-the-eyes

Only problem I had was when I use to bait
    A herd of elk can eat a lot of bait
    And this was back before the two gallon limit

7. the g1

the g1

Are you hunting the pigeon river forest?

8. HungryHunter

HungryHunter

Thanks folks. I like hearing your experiences. I was a little concerned that all my so called hot spots might overrun with elk but maybe its not the worst thing.

9. junkman

junkman

From time to time I will find elk sign by where I deer hunt.Hasn't changed anything as far as the deer go.I'm just waiting to see an elk one morning While I'm on stand.I think it would be pretty cool to see one in the woods.