Deep Smallmouth

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by GSPNut, Jun 18, 2020.

1. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

That is what we throw the most on LSC prespawn for smallmouth. I use that more than anything until the water hits about 52-53 degrees. After that I switch to other presentations just because they tend to work better as the water warms up.

Also had a good day of walleye fishing with them this spring.

jd4223 and johnIV like this.
  2. ezyeric

ezyeric

Yes, replace the hooks with some good trebles. Probably #6 or #4.

3. johnIV

johnIV

Yep open water with little or no vegetation is best. It's the only place I fish them. Usually deep clear water. Double hooks work better because they don't get caught up in the other treble that's on the back when ripping it on the jerk. Many times mine get both trebles tangled together. That one less hook helps.

4. piketroller

piketroller

I’ve never fished blade baits before, but I do hear a ton about the bass liking them in the colder water periods. Do you guys rip them like they were doing on MooD recently for lakers even when the water is still cold?

5. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

No nothing like they do for Lakers.

For bass you let it drop to the bottom and barely raise the rod. You should feel it shimmy maybe 4-5 times and let it sink. It is a lite finesse technique. Most people way over work the bait. You want to mimmick a dying minnow on the bottom. Mark zona has a great blade bait video on YouTube. There was also a video someone posted this spring where scott dobson was on a show demonstrating lake st clair smallmouths on blade baits that was good. Both guys had similar techniques.

6. piketroller

piketroller

Those huge rips looked crazy to me for trying to finesse cold water bass into biting. I’ve got some big 4 oz vibratos I’ve played around with for muskie and understand how slow I can rip it or how fast I can drop it while still getting action out of the bait.

7. johnIV

johnIV

It really depends on the season. During fall, I rip it hard after the fall. Fish are aggressive and feeding heavy before winter so they like it ripped fast. Springtime finds fish more lethargic as they are still in their metobolic depressive state from winter and do not like to chase fast moving meals. More finesse is necessary. Drop then lift. Like dirtysteve said, you'll feel the jittery vibration from the bait when lifting it. Lift and drop, reel in the slack and repeat. It's deadly on walleyes too in springtime.

8. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

It made me really want to go try it. My son and I went to 4 bait shops looking for pink blaid baits and couldnt find any. We ended up going to higgins instead of driving to grand traverse. We managed one short fish. We will be trying it before summer is done i think.

LITTLECLEO likes this.
  9. piketroller

piketroller

Do you have any white blades? People at most of the Canadian bucket list destinations for trophy lakers like Athabasca and Great Slave Lake always recommend anything white from spoons to 6" Mr. Twisters on a jig to Bondy baits. Pink might have been working for those guys, but if I were to try it, I'd start with white and go from there.

10. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Good tip. I will pick some white up. I mostly have silver,gold, blue and chartreuse in my box. I use gold predominantly for st clair smallmouth.

Now you mention it i used white swimbaits with a pink jig head in canada. The trick was to drop it down and jig it 4 times and then reel as fast as possinle to the surface. The Canadian laketrout couldnt resist chaising and it was alot of fun. We caught a few and had many giants chase all the way to the surface in 80' of water. My son had a giant hit it at the surface and thrash around before losing it.
    We tried this technique on higgins without much luck. I had two that we saw chase it up 10' off the bottom before returning. That was in 120' of water.