Deep Smallmouth

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by GSPNut, Jun 18, 2020.

1. johnIV

johnIV

For me personally large jigging spoons throw much more flash. Clear water presentations don't require big spoons but they still help if fish are not in an area.

Slimshady likes this.
  2. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Jigging spoons, especially with a brass worm rattle superglued to them call in fish from a long ways off, can be worked faster, and seem to turn on neutral fish better for me.

Slimshady and johnIV like this.

3. ESOX

One thing of note, if you bang the spoon into the bottom, then leave it lay there forever, like 10 seconds(seems like forever) it will often get hammered the second you lift it back off the botton. Works great when you know there are fish around that are reluctant.

4. Slimshady

Slimshady

Thanks for the info. I am wondering if they would react the same way to blade-baits or even heavy rattle-traps, only because I already own those and would have to buy the spoons.

5. ESOX

I'm sure it would. First time I discovered this was back in the mid 70's fishing around Walpole with my buddies. We were at the top of the Basset Channel fishing for pike. I made a long cast with a 3/4oz Daredevle and I put my rod down to imbibe in the combustible that was going around. A number of seconds later I picked up my rod, lifted the spoon off the bottom and it was HAMMERED by my first ever 6#+ smallie.
    Leaving things lay on the bottom has worked great for me ever since.

fishinthed and johnIV like this.
  6. johnIV

johnIV

Late fall those spoons work well jigging for Smallmouth in cold clear deep water lakes. Lake Erie has delivered some real nice Smallmouth during fall. 20-30 fow is where they head late in October/November. Just before winter they are feeding heavily and those big spoons work well. I say big meaning 3.5-4" for me. Hammered chrome and gold spoons worked best at that time.

ESOX likes this.
  7. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

Sometimes fishing a ned rig the same way has the exact same effect. Saw some cool underwater footage once. Those smallmouth will get finicky and dropping it down and leaving it still tends to make them curious. They will often immediately swim over and just sit there and watch. A slight pick up on the line and they slurp it in. Different bait than you are describing but the presentation has the same effect when you deadstick it awhile.

ESOX likes this.
  8. Lightfoot

Lightfoot

I had a great 4th of July weekend on smallies that were holding in 2-5 feet of water with nothing more than a split shot in front of a 4" rubber worm. There isn't a lot of deep water and surface temp was 78.5. You had to watch your line as grabs were very subtle with only a few taps all trip.

9. Slimshady

Slimshady

I believe it, but it is so hard to have that kind of patience, especially if you aren't sure they are down there. I mark lots of fish on the graph, but hard to know if they are carp or bass.

I had a similar thing happen this past weekend, only it was on top vs on the bottom. I had seen giant smallies coming to the surface slurping up mayflies while we were casting jerk-baits and cranks. I decided to put on a popper, even though it was pretty wavy out. After about 10 casts without a blow-up, I noticed a large bass following it in. I twitched it a couple times, and the bass swam-away. On the next cast, I saw another one hanging out under my bait, so I just let it sit there for about 10-15 seconds. Finally, that bass came up and smashed it. Unfortunately, I figured it out when we were already past our target quitting time, so that was literally my last cast.

Sparky23 likes this.
  10. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

One trick i learned if you dont have the patience for a ned rig..... how ever you are fishing and catching them have a ned rig handy on a spinning rod. Afteryou net your fish immediately drop the ned rig down with bail open before you begin removing the fish from the net and unhooking. This works especially well if you like to weigh your fosh or take a picture etc... release the fish then pick up on your spinning rod with the ned rig. The technique works well cause often there are more where you catch one. Also catching one will sometimes fire them up and get them eating.

11. bowhunter426

bowhunter426

I always let my crankbaits sit for 10-15 seconds before reeling, amazing how many smallmouth with come up off the bottom and hammer it when it is just floating on the surface

johnIV likes this.
  12. johnIV

johnIV

Same with topwater when the topwater Smallmouth bait is hot. Let it sit for 30 seconds before moving it. Many fish caught before that 30 seconds is up.

13. Slimshady

Slimshady

Yes, I often see them following each other to the boat when you hook one. I will usually have a tube either ready to go, or already out there just dragging or dangling in a rod-holder. It is amazing how many times the followers will grab that one.

14. rtminc

rtminc Premium Member

jd4223, DirtySteve, Sparky23 and 3 others like this.
  15. jd4223

jd4223

I was looking through my blade box to see what blades I need and found a couple Cicada Blades in 3/8oz and 1/2 ounce. I've only fished them when ice fishing. Basically vertical jigging. I think I tried casting them a few times but never caught anything. I'm not really impressed with the double hooks instead of trebles. They have good flash when vertical jigging and I've caught small pike on them but other than that,never really fished them in open water. Any body else fish them in open water?