Deep Smallmouth

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species Fishing' started by GSPNut, Jun 18, 2020.

1. johnIV

johnIV

Burt and Mullet are the best place IMO to get into the 6+ lb fish. I've seen fish near 8 lbs caught personally. It's no wonder the latest state record came from that chain.

U of M Fan likes this.
  2. jd4223

jd4223

When the bass go deep in the summer I use a 3/8oz or 1/2oz blade bait. Just cast it out let it sink to bottom and yo-yo it back to the boat. If bass are suspended then just count the bait down to what ever depth the fish are marked at on the depth finder and jig the blade bait back to the boat. You can even park the boat over the suspended fish and vertical jig the blade bait. Gold color then silver color are my top 2 choices. My favorite blade bait is made by Johnson. Rapala has come out with a new blade bait 1/2oz. At $10 a piece I'll pass and spend less than $4 for a Johnson blade bait.

fishinthed and gundogguy like this.

3. johnIV

johnIV

Yep I just picked up 8 of the V Rap's. Gonna be interesting to see how they work. My favorites are the River2Sea glassy vibe 65. Very effective blade type bait. Looks realistic more so than most blade baits. Bad part is when catching alot of fish, the paint wears off it fast.

jd4223 likes this.
  4. piketroller

piketroller

One thing I try to do on a fishing vacation trip is never fish the same water two days in a row. I like to rotate through spots every other day. That seems to give enough time for the fish to either recover and hit the same presentations again, or give time for new fish to move in that haven’t seen those same lures recently. This works great on bigger lakes, but not to great on smaller lakes where you can cover the whole thing in a day.

5. Slimshady

Slimshady

No, I meant Little Traverse Bay. We stay at Boyne Highlands when we go up, so I will sometimes launch at Petoskey and fish around Bay Harbor if the wind is favorable for it. However, I may have to check out Little Traverse Lake. Never heard of it.

Never mind, I just looked it up and it would be a pretty long drive from the Highlands.

johnIV likes this.
  6. johnIV

johnIV

Never heard of little traverse bay. We're even. I'll have to look IT up.

7. johnIV

johnIV

Interesting. Petoskey sits on it. Never fished that far north on Lake Michigan.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  8. Slimshady

Slimshady

That could be, however, I have yet to catch a fish on Burt, and I haven't made it to Mullet yet. I only went to Burt once, but it was a total bust. We never even saw a fish of any kind. No blue-gills, no bass, nothing. We launched at Maple Bay Ramp and fished mainly the NW part of the lake. It was pretty windy that day from the NE, so we couldn't really venture all that far. I know there are huge fish in that lake, but I don't have a clue how to find them or catch them.

9. johnIV

johnIV

Summer can be a challenge. Spring/fall are top seasons to get fish of any size. Otherwise knowing where rock piles are or points with fish on them are year round.

10. jd4223

jd4223

When you fish the new Rapala give us a report on the performance of the bait. I want to know if it's worth $10. If the bait is a success hopefully Rapala will come out with lighter weights at a reduced price.

11. johnIV

johnIV

Will do. Go to bass or shops. I think they were like 7.00 +/-.

jd4223 likes this.
  12. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

You have to hit burt at the right time for bed fishing. It can ve incredible. You will see mark zona and vandam hanging around lake that time of year too. A few other pros like scott dobson.

Once the spawn is over the fish disappear onburt. I have to believe they go ultra deep like they do on charlevoix.

13. DirtySteve

DirtySteve

One other good source is mark zona. He offers alot of short youtbe clips with northen mixhigan smallmouth advice. He has a pretty good tip about swing head/wobble head presentations for lakes that have sand to rock transition that would be great for long or grand lake.

14. ESOX

ESOX Staff Member Super Mod Mods

Torch has some real toads. Mid day we do best with 3-5" saltwater jigging spoons at the base of the primary drop off into 25-35' of water. Fish like inside and outside turns in the break line as opposed to long straight breaks.

Slimshady and johnIV like this.
  15. Slimshady

Slimshady

Interesting. What advantages do you see with spoons vs blade baits or drop-shots?