decoy painting problem

Discussion in 'Darkhouse Spearing' started by michael marrs, Apr 7, 2018.

1. michael marrs

michael marrs

I now have almost 4 dekes done, and as you might expect , they improve in quality as they go along, with he last one being the best. However , I get one painted, fins on, clear coat it, and somewhere on the deke the clearcoat turns to wrinkle coat. The first couple, I was using some older stuff, so assumed that it was my problem . Just got one done, looks great, clearcoat it and it all looks great, turn it over and the bottom, ( thankfully the bottom), is all wrinkled. It should also be noted, I am using Krylon paints in hand spray cans not air brush of any kind. should I not clearcoat them? and , I wondered if I got the clear so thick on the bottom, that it didn't dry fast enough to keep from wrinkling, thanks

2. jasonmichalski

jasonmichalski Darkhouse Ninja

Winkles are from one paint base eating the other, you can heat set each color before adding the next and that will help, but you’ll be best using compatible paint bases, when I top rattle cans with vinyl clear it does the same thing unless it’s completely dry before clearing, I heat set with a blow dryer or that the decoy sit for a week or more, and I have to make sure the clear is thick if it’s thinned it winkles no matter what the vinyl clear is mixed the most reactive thinner they make, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

3. michael marrs

michael marrs

4. jasonmichalski

No problem, try thin coats and heat set between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

Quack Addict likes this.
  5. Quack Addict

Quack Addict

Yeah, I've been through this the last couple years helping my son paint his Pinewood derby cars. If you layer paint or clear and apply too much in a single coat, it will wrinkle as the wet paint dissolves the paint beneath it. Use thin coats and hold the can back a ways - you don't want the paint to go on real thick and dripping wet. Lots of thin coats are the key.

michael marrs and jasonmichalski like this.
  6. michael marrs

michael marrs

haha, there it is, i is clear-coating within a day, and laying it on thick, maybe I should stay with playing bluegrass music,lol, well, not really that good at that either

jasonmichalski likes this.
  7. maddiedog

maddiedog

It'll be December until you can swim em so let them dry REALLY well. Especially a laquer paint. I use water based so it dries quicker. Just got done carving a biggun myself. 16" sucker

WB10

8. michael marrs

michael marrs

thanks all. I just decided if I kept on the dekes, I would quit buying instruments, and save myself a fortune!!

9. jasonmichalski

Lol!!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

10. maddiedog

maddiedog

Let us know how that works out for you!

WB10

jasonmichalski and michael marrs like this.