Decoy at night.

Discussion in 'Michigan Predator Hunting' started by leland.69, Feb 20, 2016.

1. leland.69

leland.69

Been having mixed feelings on this. Do you guys feel its worth the effort of a decoy at night?

2. ghernandez

ghernandez

I do. The only times I had a yote come in at night was with my decoy

3. roger15055

roger15055

At night I just use my feathers on the dowel rod light and easy and set it next to the caller about ten inches off the ground slightest breeze and it moves. At night in the dark I'm like a bull in a China shop. So I try to travel light. Just what I do.

4. Fishman95

Fishman95

This winter I called in a gray fox on a night with no snow and no moon, he could still see the decoy in that darkness. He walked right to it and stuck his nose in it. He was so laser focused he didn't notice me raising my shotgun and It has a direct line of sight to me. I would say a decoy helps.

5. leland.69

leland.69

Good replies thanks. I like the feather idea nice and simple. Had a fox come in last night and sure enough. Locked right on the decoy. Unfortunately I muffed my shot. Then got him to stop again and my damn shell jammed in my magazine. Didn't see another thing rest of the night.

6. Bucks&Ducks

Bucks&Ducks

7. wolverines

wolverines

I would absolutely run the decoy at night. No doubt they can see it. They hunt at night.
    My question is, what about the light on the decoy? Is that just for the hunter? I don't know anyone that uses it and have heard it just runs your battery down quicker. I've never used it. Anyone else?

8. fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

In my opinion the light basically adds "flashes" to the decoy so that it may seen at a further distance. It may only be for the hunter to see that the decoy is turning I'm not sure. I've tried it but haven't had any luck on my own with it yet either way. The last triple we called in I used hand calls lol.

9. wolverines

wolverines

Last time I used my hand calls was last year when my Foxpro was unexpectedly out of juice. After I was done calling I was so out of breath there was no way I could control my breathing and shoot accurately if something came in! Lol Guess I was a little too aggressive on the calling. I'm going to stick with the Foxpro!

10. fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

I admit, this is why we used the calls to get that triple as well.

11. wolverines

wolverines

Lol it happens!
    I saw your vid, pretty cool. I still haven't had much time with my night vision yet. I've pry made 6 stands total this year. Anyway, once you get eyes scanning, are you switching over to your scope instantly? All my stands have been unsuccessful so far, but I feel like there's a fine line when you need to switch to night vision. I visualize a coyote coming in all the time while calling, and it seems like you could lose him if you go to the scope too quickly, but you defeat the purpose of night vision if you keep the scan light on him. I do hunt alone a lot, and know a 2 man team would be very beneficial when working together.

12. doggk9

doggk9

He scans with thermal. I hunt with Fred a lot, I also hunt with deereguy who also uses thermal. When I hunt alone I use my scan light a lot of the time but switch to NV as soon as possible. When I see eyes I go to the scope immediately, I even shut my light off completely if there is time.

13. fr3db3ar

fr3db3ar

As Rob said I use thermal to scan. I don't need eyes and I can spot them as far as I can see them. It's hard to hide from thermal. I've got a thermal scope coming so soon I won't have to worry if they're wondering around blind :D

14. wolverines

wolverines

I rigged up my pressure switch that came with my scope light on my scan light so I can run it with one hand. It's mounted to my scan lights grip so I can operate ot with my thumb quickly when I scan eyes. I hated reaching over with my other hand to turn the light off. One of my better ideas, but I haven't called anything in since I rigged it up that way lol!

15. wolverines

wolverines

Not sure what happened here, and don't know how to delete...