close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dead Stream Swamp near Houghton Lk

Discussion in 'Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by zstwins, Oct 19, 2010.

1. petronius

petronius

Why did you call it The Jack Creek Horror? What is Jack Creek?

Our deer camp is just a few miles west of the Dead Stream Swamp. I'll be ordering it for deer camp.

2. cjcoombes

cjcoombes

Petronius----
    I wanted to tackle a suspense thriller, and after tossing around a number of ideas, I settled on the Deadstream Swamp as the backdrop. I live just south of Grand Rapids, and routinely travel up to Mackinac. We often return to spend a night in Houghton Lake. Hence my awareness of the swamp. With a name like Deadstream, how could I possibly pass that up? Obviously, I take plenty of writer's liberty, and it is necessary to keep most references vague to avoid legal issues. However, I did take time to drive around the area as best I could, walk the Reedsburg dam and campground, and speak with fishermen I encountered when I could figure out how to get back in near the water. My characters always meet up at the Little Boots Restaurant, and my readers go searching for the place. The underlying message in the novel is very close to my heart. It is not a stupid story. As for your question about Jack Creek. It is a fictitious drainage ditch that ran along a driveway of a main character. He and his buddies would sit in lawn chairs and fish it. They named it Jack's creek after him as a joke. Thanks for taking a chance on an unknown author. I wish I could have met a few of the guys on this thread before I wrote the novel. I'm sure the tale would have been much richer for it. I certainly enjoyed the thread.

jr28schalm likes this.

3. dogstroutducks

dogstroutducks

I'm about halfway through the novel now but seriously, chapter 13?!? That hits way too close to home for my black lab buddy and I.

In all seriousness I no longer hunt the Reedsburg dam portion because of the inconsideration of others with regards to refuse and drug paraphernalia. It's not worth the risk to my dog. Sad what we do to nature.

Great read so far though! Thanks for sharing.

4. petronius

petronius

Since you are familiar with the Deadstream and the Reedsburg Dam, you might find the crawfish shindig usually held in July at the Reedsburg Dam State Forest Campground to be interesting. There are several members who live in that general area who show up. Many are quite familiar with the Deadstream Swamp.
    Here are two forums to look at.
    Crayfish Trapping
    2017 Camp Crawdad Official Thread

Sprytle and Scout 2 like this.
  5. cjcoombes

cjcoombes

Dogstroutducks---------

Wanted to say that I am heartened to know you are enjoying the novel. Books, like cars, lovers, etc., are a matter of taste. I am sure you will see that the intrigue is a good romp, but the underlying message is not so trivial. Thanks for taking a chance on me.

If I may ask... Reviews are extremely difficult to obtain, and remain the life blood of authors trying to promote their work. I assume you may have purchased JACK CREEK at Amazon, and would by grateful if you would leave me a review. No need to be fancy, but a review from a patron of the Deadstream Swamp with a lab, would make my day. Have a great one. cjc

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 10:23 AM
  6. cjcoombes

cjcoombes

Petronius----------
    Thanks for the invite. I am not a sportsman, more of book nerd, but would still love to meet some of the folks that frequent the area. I enjoy people. I didn't read all 23 pages of the crawfest, but got the jest of what's going on. I see no date set at this time. Will watch for it. I do a number of book signings at Horizon books in Cadillac, not too far away. cjc

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018 at 10:39 AM
  7. petronius

petronius

Someone will probably post the date in June.